Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2011 chevy NOX sensor replaced @ 24k What say you?

I was driving down the road yesterday when the check engine light came on. Went to the dealer and they said two codes showed up. p2201 and p20ee. Turned out to be the NOX sensor 1. Replaced under warranty.

So anyway googled it and found a lot of other people talking about the same thing.

So what if we all just post our miles and whether we have had this same NOX sensor issue.

Like 50K and no issue. Or like 24k and NOX sensor replaced.

:popcorn

·
Registered
113 Posts
27k no issue

·
Super Genius
1,303 Posts
Ummmm, look for my thread posted in power train section for lml's. I think you'll be amazed. Anyway, here goes.

66786 miles. Nox #1 replaced twice, Nox#2 replaced 3 times, def tank/pump assembly replaced once. CEL codes cleared and reprogrammed by dealer 6 seperate times. CEL codes cleared by me, I lost count.

It has been investigated whether the NOXsensor has had a rebuild or change. Part numbers have changed but, I cannot get anyone to tell me if the sensor has been upgrade or design change. Just make sure to hold onto all of your paperwork involving these repairs. Keep track of mileage when problems arise. And, check the dates on the def always using freshest possible. I have learned that it does spoil and it does indeed freeze. Your tank will thaw it out but it takes awhile. That said, read my thread "Calling out all that had issues with def/emissions" I go off on a few rants but, there is alot of good info once you get past my bullshit. I lost my temper a few times and got a tad childish. I have learned alot about the truck, its emissions problems, and my own humility along the way. All with the help from good people here, which consequently, I now consider good friends. Best wishes on your thread and truck.

·
jokerfabworx.com
3,662 Posts
Ummmm, look for my thread posted in power train section for lml's. I think you'll be amazed. Anyway, here goes.

66786 miles. Nox #1 replaced twice, Nox#2 replaced 3 times, def tank/pump assembly replaced once. CEL codes cleared and reprogrammed by dealer 6 seperate times. CEL codes cleared by me, I lost count.

It has been investigated whether the NOXsensor has had a rebuild or change. Part numbers have changed but, I cannot get anyone to tell me if the sensor has been upgrade or design change. Just make sure to hold onto all of your paperwork involving these repairs. Keep track of mileage when problems arise. And, check the dates on the def always using freshest possible. I have learned that it does spoil and it does indeed freeze. Your tank will thaw it out but it takes awhile. That said, read my thread "Calling out all that had issues with def/emissions" I go off on a few rants but, there is alot of good info once you get past my bullshit. I lost my temper a few times and got a tad childish. I have learned alot about the truck, its emissions problems, and my own humility along the way. All with the help from good people here, which consequently, I now consider good friends. Best wishes on your thread and truck.
We be friends. We be friends. :thumb

·
Registered
181 Posts
62k....#1 went bad...Out of warranty...$900 repair. Complained to GM more than once. Got my money back for the repair.
My buddy has the same exact truck as me. Had both of his replaced twice at 9k miles

·
Registered
79 Posts
62k....#1 went bad...Out of warranty...$900 repair. Complained to GM more than once. Got my money back for the repair.
My buddy has the same exact truck as me. Had both of his replaced twice at 9k miles
Besides having the sensors replaced. How are the regen intervals per tank and mileage?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So does gm do something about this problem or is just like you can expect to spend 900 dollars now and then to keep your truck running. Will there ever be aftermarket replacements for this sensor or will you always have to go to the dealer. Makes me think about selling and getting a gasser!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Besides having the sensors replaced. How are the regen intervals per tank and mileage?
GM says you go about twice as far between Regens with the DEF system about 1 every 700 miles instead of one every 350 or so. I would not mind the DEF system if they made it so it worked without all the problems. The exhaust is as clean as a whistle and doesn't have that stinky diesel smell.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Coyote

I feel a little silly now starting this thread. 30 pages Wow. Now I am really scared. You say you solved your problem, How did you do that? I only drive my truck for pulling now so maybe 5k a year. Seems like every year I can spend a grand or two for emissions when out of warranty. Or are they coming up with better parts?

·
Super Genius
1,303 Posts
Coyote

I feel a little silly now starting this thread. 30 pages Wow. Now I am really scared. You say you solved your problem, How did you do that? I only drive my truck for pulling now so maybe 5k a year. Seems like every year I can spend a grand or two for emissions when out of warranty. Or are they coming up with better parts?
Well, I have had the NOX sensors replaced enough that I looked at part numbers and saw a change. The truck has been better than ever. I am hopeful that GM got it right with a change made to the nox. I now have most parts ready to delete if it gets ugly again. As for 5k a year, I recently took a 1300 mile round trip, and truly believe it helped clean up the dpf and the exhaust. I think it helped when I stretched her legs at 90 to 100mph. These things like to gallop and gallop we did!
Dont feel silly, I am grateful for anything and everything that comes from any thread posted. Its no competition and we can learn from each other. I applaud your efforts.
Again, my hope is that GM is working on it. I realise that a recall would do more harm than good. Public image and all. I hope they are attacking these issues as they come up somewhat quietly. (One at a time) Stay in touch, let us know how it works out. Try to get specifics from dealer and mechanic and pass it along. :thumb

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I lost my temper a few times and got a tad childish.
There is no need to apologize. Late model diesel emissions systems are the worst technical debacle since thalidomide. Anyone who spends the cash on a diesel pickup and then leaves it at the dealer service bay for half its life is going to be angry.

·
Super Genius
1,303 Posts
Thanks for saying so, Armus.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Why is replacing a sensor $900?

·
Registered
546 Posts
the wire harness is like $600
there is a service bulletin on nox sensors problems to replace harness too

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am going to be in the market for a used 2012 LML when the new 15's come out this spring. My father-in-law has already ordered a new one and I'll likely trade my current 08 for his 12. However, since I've been doing some reading on the LML pages, I'm literally quite scared to trade now! Is the NoX sensors something that is just gonna happen eventually? Plus I've seen so many posts about replacing DEF tanks. My friend just had to replace his and the dealership had several LML's in the shop for the same thing. I thougth there were some issues with the 11's when they came out, but is it really this bad on the newer ones? I may reconsider trading as I think I can delete everything off my LMM (that has given me zero troubles other than bad fuel mileage) for less than all this DEF equipment costs. Are the emmissions only covered to 50,000? I know the powertrain is till 100,000. You would think GM would have to step up to the plate like they did with the injector issues on the LB7's and cover the emmissions for a longer period or do some sort of recall. Hell I may end up going back to gas if this is gonna be the way it is. I was considering the LML for the frame, brakes, and exahaust brake, plus potential better mileage, but with all I'm reading over here I'm on the fence. Anyone have an LML with 100,000K with no emmision issues? I have yet to find any posts about high mileage LML's.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the wire harness is like $600
there is a service bulletin on nox sensors problems to replace harness too

Interesting I just called my dealer and asked if they replaced the wiring harness when the replaced the NOX sensor #1 and he said no. They just replaced the sensor. Does that mean I should say you guys didn't do the job right?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Interesting I just called my dealer and asked if they replaced the wiring harness when the replaced the NOX sensor #1 and he said no. They just replaced the sensor. Does that mean I should say you guys didn't do the job right?
I had both NOX replaced and no harness. Did not correct the problem with my short regens!!
Still at the dealer waiting for a GM regional rep to look at the problem.
Will be 2 week come this Thursday. They had the local GM rep there on the 13th and he suggested replacing the second sensor on the DPF and thought that would correct the short regens. The tech drove the truck for the weekend and when he checked it on the 16th the soot was at 23 grams with a bit over 40 miles since the last regen. We were hoping it would not raise above 5 grams.
As long as I have a loner car, I'm fine until it get fixed.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Thanks to all of you for your Post on the NOX sensors. I hope they have figured out the problem and replaced all needed parts. Mine will go to the shop in the morning and I want to thank ONSTAR for their help in finding why the check Engine light came on because it is a great truck!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts