Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Duramax 2500. I was unable to register my car because I had a P380 code. I found and fixed the bad glow plug and checked that the circuit was good. The scanner i borrowed from Autozone still reads the code (so I know the port is good) but doesn't do resets, and the 2 scanners I've bought won't connect to the ECM for some reason. I've tried several reset tricks I've seen on YT but to no avail, the code remains. AAMCO won't do resets unless you let them work on your vehicle but since I've already don't the repair I really don't want to spend money for them to redo my troubleshooting.

Any advice aside from spending hundreds on a more advanced scanner?

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
It may be that you still have a problem, as to why the code re-appears.

I found and fixed the bad glow plug and checked that the circuit was good.
P0380 Glow Plug Circ Error Circ A, relates to wiring/power to the circuit....

Bad GP/module would be P067x
What did you replace?

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
It may be that you still have a problem, as to why the code re-appears.

P0380 Glow Plug Circ Error Circ A, relates to wiring/power to the circuit....

Bad GP/module would be P067x
What did you replace?
I neglected to mention that this is a California emissions vehicle.

At this point I've only replaced a glow plug and checked the wires from the module to the plugs to confirm continuity. All show about 1.6 ohms, rather than the open circuit that showed on the bad one.

I borrowed a better scanner from a coworker which was able to do the reset but the code came back after a couple of miles, at which point I checked everything again. It all still showed good, so the only thing left is the module.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
but the code came back after a couple of miles,
on a hot engine?
Also, I saw where the intake heater was part of that circuit too. Might take a look-see there.
But on a hot engine, both of those shouldn't be relevant, I would think.

Reactions: whodgson

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I've just learned that the 175A fuse might be the culprit. Gonna pop the fuse box off and check that out before I do anything.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so if I'm correct the positive wire on the controller is constantly 12v even with the engine off, which would also indicate that the 175A fuse would be good, yes?

Well, I changed out the controller and still get the P380 code. The gp circuits still show good. What am I missing?

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
....and the heater?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I just checked the intake heater. It showed 0.9 ohms and I saw 5.6v on the lead when I started the engine. Is that normal? I've not found anything about the inlet heater except how to do a delete plug, which won't work here in California as it's part of the emissions.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Okay, my bad. I scanned back at what I saw a while back and it was "glow plug/Heater"...but their meaning was actually a GPH without the /. 'dunno;

Is this an LB7 '04 or an LLY '04.5?
Because you've posted in the LBZ section...with an '04

Check the fuse.
Check the wiring (said covered) and the post connections (easy to snap the wire crimp)
You checked the continuity of the wires....
Check at each GP's post end, not the wire. Make sure each shows a solid ground.

Just throwing things out..

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, jeez - didn't realize I'd posted in the wrong section. Sorry.

It is an '04 LB7.

If I understand the wiring correctly, the controller positive is always hot via the 175A fuse. I noticed while swapping out the controller that there was another wire that disappears under some tubing that is also attached to that post. Not sure where that goes.

I will undertake further checks per your suggestions. Thanks. At this point, though, I think it's going to be worth it to just take it to a pro. Gotta get it smogged by the end of the month.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts