Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running a roof rack/basket on the crew cab OBS.?.?.

I think they look kinda cool and I may be in the market to give it a shot. How do you mount? From my research it seems guys are doing roof bars and mounting the baskets to the bars that go across. I am not a big fan of drilling my roof, so something that mounts to the cab ends like around the top of the door would be cool... Any ways.. show me what you got :thumb

http://www.autoanything.com/roof-racks/curt-roof-mounted-cargo-rack

·
Registered
68 Posts
I like them too. I have one on my 79 bronco. I'm in the market for a new canopy and I'm thinking of getting the tracks mounted in the canopy from the factory. I don't know if I'd like it there better than over the cab or not. I don't know how to mount them to the cab though. I think they have some that mount under the weather seal. I would most likely run a sealed cargo box up there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What I really want:

But all these guys are running Smittybilt Part 40504 - Defender Welded One Piece Roof Rack-WS1
Defender roof racks which you have to drill holes in your roof to mount. I'm not that far in yet.... I have seen (very limited in my research aka... can't find) Thule KIT1522 - Traverse Fit Kit 1522 - Rack Outfitters Thule makes one kit that is just the cross bars that you can mount a Basket to.... but the basket sits really high off the cab

And other guys are doing factory GM style rails....

·
Registered
807 Posts
How about this one?

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think the roof needs to be drilled and, personally, I do not like that. However, it looks as though round Yakima bars could easily slide through and then use there mounts. If this worked I think I could like this set up, but I would weld some mesh to the bottom of the basket.

I really do like the look of round lights at the front though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Looks good Slo Truck! I just don't know if I am all in enough to drill SEVERAL holes in my roof... I do like the look though. I get tired of my vehicles fairly often, so the more "custom" stuff I do the more limited my potential "sale to" market is. Right now I really haven't done anything that can't be undone... wheels/tires, EFI Live, Cat fuel filter, leveling kit with UCA's. etc.

POWDR I like that one too! little more "modern" styling I guess.... good options

Continuing on here... one thing leads to another... build my own! I have a freakin nice miller welder I bought couple years ago that entirely doesn't get enough use... DIY Roof Rack - The Garage Journal Board
This one is more for looks and hauling bulky stuff like duffel bags or something like that... yea allot of stuff would fall through the cracks... DYI Roof Rack/Basket - Expedition Portal
A little more "practical" here with the mesh bottom... but kinda looks like you have a Tractor Supply lawn mower trailer strapped to your roof.?.?.Roof Light Cage & Custom Installation On Roof Rack. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
I REALLY like this guys idea for mounting his rack! I think I could do something very similar by building bows that go across (maybe has pads with soft material that sits on the cab roof) and clamps in the door jamb just to keep the rack from shifting and moving around....

Thoughts.?.?.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Thanks

man that 1st link you posted is a killer rack. The last one is a really nice design too. I love my Defender and it holds a 34.5" spare on an 18" wheel no problem. Its just getting the nerve to pop 12 1" holes in your roof. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time seeing how its paid off and only has 90k miles on it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Not quite what you were asking but here is my idea.
http://[URL=http://s1225.photobucket.com/user/doverarjim/media/Posted%20Pictures/IMG_1979_zpsruy6ui9p.jpg.html]
[/URL]

[

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.