Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a 2006 (real clean truck). I am getting back to the 06 lly vs. 06 lbz discussion, what the hell is going on here. When I first got interested in this truck, I just assumed that it had the LBZ because it had the Allison select-shift 6-speed transmission in it which is the newer unit. After running the VIN it looks like the 8th digit is a 2 which indicates that this engine is a LLY. I'm not really concerned about the tune because any Bully Dog/Banks/EFI Live can up the H.P., what I am concerned about are the engine internals. It sounds like the LBZ got some nice upgrades compared to the older LLY's (like reduced compression and stronger lower end), but after studying this troubling question, it looks like the 2006 LLY is the same as the 2006 LBZ from a hardware standpoint, it's just that the LBZ powertrain has a more updated tune (probably due to the fact that the other tune was not ready for release until the end of 2006). Does anyone know the real story here? Also, if this story is true, does anyone know how to flash the ecm with the LBZ tune? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
From what I have read, the 06 LLY has most of those upgrades. The biggest difference in both those engines was the programming. I don't know that for a fact, just from reading on other forums. I wouldn't worry about the differences since there isn't that much of a difference. As far as reflashing for the LBZ tune, just get EFI live and you can do even better than the LBZ tune.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
the 06 LLY and the 06 LB take have the same programming according to PPE and other guys that tune diesels..

·
Registered
699 Posts
lbz has a much larger cooling sytem to go w/ the lower compression. it also like you said has a much heavier internals

1 - 4 of 4 Posts