Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Smoke. It's what's cookin
2,934 Posts
yep. Dad's on his 05 didn't break the welds I bent it down. Pulling 2 NH3 tanks (23,000Lbs) the force of the tanks when i was breaking pushed the hitch down and bent it where the square tubing welds to the round tube. It literally twisted it. got a new one under warranty then took it off and got an aftermarket hitch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I heard the same thing about hitches bending down. Guess you need to order one for the wiring harnes than get rid of it and get a good one ie. Ranch Hand.

·
2,934 Posts
Yep the Factory's suck! Waiting on mine to go to crap so I can get a new one!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i put a 24' bumper pull behind with 20+k pounds and pulled the oem hitch under out i should metion this was on my 00 1/2 silverado with the 5.3L gasser and no that was not on the road i was just pulling it around the yard....i am planning on installing a putman hitch on my 05 dually for this year

·
Registered
192 Posts
yep. Dad's on his 05 didn't break the welds I bent it down. Pulling 2 NH3 tanks (23,000Lbs) the force of the tanks when i was breaking pushed the hitch down and bent it where the square tubing welds to the round tube. It literally twisted it. got a new one under warranty then took it off and got an aftermarket hitch.
is somebody thankful to be alive?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
95% of my pulling is with a gooseneck but I do have a 5000 lb. travel trailer which I do not use a wd hitch with. I have seen pictures of these hitches coming apart but I believe most of them were pulling travel trailers with the wd hitch. My truck is an '07 3500 drw so I don't think I need a wd hitch for my camper. My question is-is it possible that the wd system amplifies the torque on these hitches causing them to fail? The oem hitch doesn't look all that strong but I would think gm would quit using them if they were all that bad by themselves. Just wondering if people improperly adjusting the wd hitch is causing most of the problem.

·
2,934 Posts
No one was hurt but I did think the tanks were goin through the cab. AS soon as i felt them go forward while i was breaking, I immediately hit the throttle and tugged them and the were hooked up. I dropped the tanks off and went to the dealership and Pointed to the hitch and said get me another one. The truck was only 5 months old. I'm just waiting for mine to break and get a new one or I may just go ahead and get one.

·
Registered
85 Posts
new hitch

I tow with a class 5 Putnam XDR hitch(16,000 bumper pull capacity)
DOT tried to give me grief because my owners manual says 12,000 maximum
and I told him to call the dealer because the 12,000 is for class 3.
I showed him the sticker on my Putnam that said 16,000 and I showed him the Putnam mounting instructions which also include torque specs for the bolts. I even invited him to crawl under my truck with a torque wrench and check the bolts . He declined my offer. I then showed him my 15 ton dump truck pintle hitch(and yes I invited him to check the torque on those bolts which he again declined my offer).
No, I don't work for or sell Putnam hitches.
I do haul heavy equipment full time and I woulda snapped about a dozen class 3's by now.:rockin :beer

·
Registered
134 Posts
I also have broken the oem hitch pulling amonia tanks and on my new truck i just went ahead and put a putnam xdr on JUST IN CASE.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts