Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 Duramax Classic came with an aftermarket replacement radio that I really dislike and I would prefer the original radio that it came with. One of the previous owners replaced it and apparently didn't install an adapter so the steering wheel controls don't work now. I've been searching for an original radio but not having much luck finding one from a 2007 Classic pull out on the internet. I was going to sell my 2005 LT Silverado 2500HD now that I have the Duramax and it dawned on me that maybe I could swap the radio in the 2005 for the one in the 2007 and save a bundle of money. The partsman at the local dealer told me they both have the same part number in the book but he wasn't positive they would be identical. Does anyone know if they are the same radio? The 2005 does not have audio controls on the steering wheel so I'm concerned that it's radio will not work in the 2007 or if it does it won't have the same wiring harness and the 2007 steering wheel controls won't work. If that's the case I'll just stay with the aftermarket one. Hope someone can answer my question before I start tearing into the dashes. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
the wiring harnesses between an 05 and a 07 classic are the same. The radio will likely work, but will also likely need to have the VIN reflashed by the dealer to prevent it going into theft lock. That is all assuming there is still a harness behind your aftermarket radio.... ive seen some things that people do that make you shake your head.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the wiring harnesses between an 05 and a 07 classic are the same. The radio will likely work, but will also likely need to have the VIN reflashed by the dealer to prevent it going into theft lock. That is all assuming there is still a harness behind your aftermarket radio.... ive seen some things that people do that make you shake your head.
I've found a couple of articles online that describe how to unlock the radios in 2001-2007 models so that they can be swapped out and don't need to be reprogrammed at a dealer. From what I read after about 2007 you can unlock them but they still need to be taken to a dealer to be reprogrammed or something. I hear you about the possible wiring harness mess so I would first pull the aftermarket radio and see if there still is the original harness intact before I take out my 2005 radio. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I've found a couple of articles online that describe how to unlock the radios in 2001-2007 models so that they can be swapped out and don't need to be reprogrammed at a dealer. From what I read after about 2007 you can unlock them but they still need to be taken to a dealer to be reprogrammed or something. I hear you about the possible wiring harness mess so I would first pull the aftermarket radio and see if there still is the original harness intact before I take out my 2005 radio. Thanks for the response.
If the factory plug has (and unfortunately likely was) cut off, you will have some work ahead of you to repair that. Id go to a junk yard and cut the radio harness out of the highest trim level you can find with as much wire length as possible and start with the wires you know. Should be easy enough to eliminate the speakers, power and ground, and illumination with a meter. The rest you may need to trace to get them hooked up right since theres several data wires that are the same color IIRC.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Unload all of your CDs before you disturb it from it's nest.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
iirc, there will be 2 plugins on the back. One for the normal audio stuff, one for the steering wheel controls. The only thing that is not compatible is the Bose decks. I put a non-Bose 6 disc in my rclb before i sold it with no problwms, and beastly is still rocking the Bose 6-disc. The main plug on the back is different between the two, but both have the same plug for the steering wheel controls.

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
After you remove your CDs and have the radio out of the truck it is possible you will find an adapter harness plugged into your factory harness and connected to the harness that came with that radio.

Some of those adapter harnesses allow for Steering Wheel Controls and some do not. You can search Crutchfield.com and find an adapter harness for your vehicle and radio that does allow Steering Wheel Controls.

If you do not have the installation instructions for the radio you have in it, do a search online and download it, they are mostly readily available on the manufacturer's websites. Then you can connect the adapter to the radio's harness and simply plug the made up harness into the vehicles plugs and in the radio.

IMHO it is best to solder then heat shrink over each connection rather than use Butt Connectors. It makes a MUCH better connection that will never vibrate loose.

If the original harness for the radio itself is not in good enough condition to be reused the manufacturer can most likely sell you a new one. They can also be located on eBay.

Reactions: Ponyroper

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
After you remove your CDs and have the radio out of the truck it is possible you will find an adapter harness plugged into your factory harness and connected to the harness that came with that radio.

Some of those adapter harnesses allow for Steering Wheel Controls and some do not. You can search Crutchfield.com and find an adapter harness for your vehicle and radio that does allow Steering Wheel Controls.

If you do not have the installation instructions for the radio you have in it, do a search online and download it, they are mostly readily available on the manufacturer's websites. Then you can connect the adapter to the radio's harness and simply plug the made up harness into the vehicles plugs and in the radio.

IMHO it is best to solder then heat shrink over each connection rather than use Butt Connectors. It makes a MUCH better connection that will never vibrate loose.

If the original harness for the radio itself is not in good enough condition to be reused the manufacturer can most likely sell you a new one. They can also be located on eBay.
This is good information, ill add to it though that soldering is somewhat permanent where as a lot of times aftermarket audio equipment is not. Since the data harnesses for these trucks are so expensive its nice to be able to re-use them without cutting the wires shorter each time. If you want to solder, i would use this method rather than twisting the wires together. This way they are securely soldered, but can easily be disconnected with a soldering iron. Simply tin both wires, then hold them together and heat till the solder flows.

·
Registered
2007 Silverado CCSB 4X4 LBZ 6sp
157 Posts
If the harness was cut I would go buy a reverse harness from scosche or meter and solder and twist the wires together and make back to OEM plug. That way you can do what ever you need to do. I have done it main times on customer trucks where people didn’t want to buy the interface harness. Stupid I know. But I can be done the plugs are like 20 retail and just solder them on. You will need a wire pin out for you your truck but that’s easy to get.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.