Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not going to go into the how this happened but, I have about 9 gallons of the red off-highway diesel in my 2003 Duramax truck. There were a few gallons of normal diesel in there when it happened, so it isnt diluted with it much if at all.

Do i need to drain this red diesel out or can I dilute it by filling the tank?

·
Registered
132 Posts
the red diesel isn't going to hurt your truck mechanically i wouldn't think but i wouldn't let the cop know that u are running off road fuel. lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'll have to deduct the fine from my employee's check....he took it form a diesel tractor because the truck's low level light came on out in the field.

·
Registered
8 Posts
won't hurt it, might smoke just a very little bit till that fuel is gone but, with the little amount in there you probably won't notice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
More than likely the same product just with red marker in it for the IRS. If not the sulphur content shouldn't be over 500ppm, actually is propably lower and that is what road fuel was until last August/Sept. Like they said the only harm is if they roadside check you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same exact stuff with red dye in it. Sulpher could be 1500ppm or 500 ppm depending on your supplier, but not gonna hurt ya. Low sulpher is 500ppm ultra low is 15ppm. off road didnt have to comply with that thats why some is still 1500ppm.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i have a friend who is a farmer that runs the off road fuel all the time and the only time he got caught was when he went to a farm oriented place,such as the farm sience review in london oh were the D.O.T set and was checking all diesel trucks,yes he paid dearlly but in the long run he still saves money,that trucks is 95 chevy 6.5L TD...it will take sevaral tanks of #2 diesel to clean the red dye out off the fuel system..ps it will not hurt the truck or diesel..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the replies. =) I literally didnt sleep the first night because i had nightmares of grenading a truck I cant do without, nor can I replace it at the moment..haha

I guess I should buy my guy a beer and a sammich now, cause I sure reemed out. =/

·
Registered
133 Posts
i dont know about duramaxes but i know it hurts the injectors on sick oh's

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dont know how they do it in ohio if the catch you with off road but here in maryland its not worth it. i think they actually keep it on record also and its worse if they catch you again. I believe its an automatic $2000 fine plus if they are in a bad mood they can go back and apply the tax to every mile on your truck, real bad for us high-milers. I can buy alot of fuel for 2000. sorry done ranting

·
Registered
35 Posts
Right after Katrina there was a couple of months when you could legally run red dyed fuel in your on the road vehicles if you had a receipt showing you paid the road tax on it. I ran a few tanks of it through my '03. Matter of fact, it might have run just a little better on red than the green stuff. Have also accidentally filled it with red, wasn't paying attention at the diesel island, stuck the nozzle in and filled it with off road.
Won't hurt your truck at all but will surely hurt that pocket if they catch you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Right after Katrina there was a shortage of on road, undyed diesel and for a while you could run it if you has a receipt showing you paid the road tax on it.

I ran some then and since have mistakenly filled it with off road, more than once. Runs just fine, no problem at all.

Won't hurt your engine but will cause your wallet to really hurt should the tax man catch you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts