Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 chevy silverado classic with the duramax. I want to change the oil, it has a 1000 miles. Any recommendations would be appreciated-thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
Rotella 15w-40

I run it in all our diesels.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Rotella is a good oil. I would run conventional oil in your engine until about 10,000 miles. After that you can switch over to synthetic if you want, but it is not necessary to use synthetic. If you go synthetic, Rotella has one, Mobil has one (Delvac 1 or Turbo Diesel oil), and Amsoil is good stuff too. I personally use the mobil stuff (delvac 1).

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
AC Delco filters are just cellulose core (paper) filters. There are better filters out there, but true they will do an adequate job.

I'd recommend running Rotella 15W40 until 5,000 miles, then switch over to AMSOIL 15W40 AME. If you have a particulate exhaust filter on that '07, then you need to make sure you run a CJ-4 rated oil! This is very important to prevent damage to the particulate filter. Also, if you have the particulate filter, the AMSOIL AME 15W40 will not work. You'd have to use the AMSOIL DEO 5W40 CJ-4 rated synthetic.

Just my .02
-Chuck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi BadBrad, I have the same truck as you. Love it!
I wanted to go synthetic and did a lot of research on the different oils out there. Bottom line was that the only sysnthetic in a 15W40 was AMSOIL and I just didn't want to go that way.
I remembered that in the trucks we used to run the Rotella T and would consistantly get a million miles or better before overhaul. That's what I wound up getting.
One other note. I bought mine back in September. As we all know, GM is bleeding and hurting. They almost doubled the price of the fuel filters overnight in October. I went to Advance Auto and ordered six of them at $24.00 each instead of the almost $50.00 GM wanted at the dealership. And they are A/C filters.
Went to NAPA and got the spin on transmission filter for almost half what GM jacked it up to.
For what it's worth!
Jack Hart

·
Registered
14 Posts
How do you know if your truck has this particulate filter. Do all 07's or, do the 'classics' fall under the 2006 standards?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yep, same filter.

Hi there, I did a lot of research (Since My dealer wouldn't (Or couldn't because they were told to bplay dumb concerning these diesel trucks) and found that pretty much everything on the 07 "Classic" is the same as the 06 other than the trannsmission is now six spedds and they want to run only Ultra Low -Sulfer diesel. Yea, try to find that everywhere you go. (Actually pretty much everything ship for the auto industry is ULS. It might say Low sulfer, they are waiting till they can say the tank is cleared of the low sulfer fuel.
Hope that helps!
Jack

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK, so this means my 07 'classic' does not have a particulate filter on the exhaust?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
It depends on the engine....if you have the LBZ, then no, but if you have the LMM, yes. Look at the 8th digit of your VIN....if it is a D, then you have a LBZ...besides, the LMM had a funky exhaust tip on it too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everybody-am learning alot-love this diesel thing-badbrad

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Classic body= LBZ, no filter

New Body= LMM w/ Diesel particulate filter

Happy Dieseling!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts