Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other: Please post brand

Votes: 11 7.7%

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
T6 also. Coke over Pepsi, I think only because back in the 80s I didn't want to put my lips on anything the Michael Jackson had his lips on - these days as long as there is a splash of rum in it I'm good either way.
Im in on the T6, AND the Rum, but keep all those dilutants out of it! :grin2:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use Amsoil in the Duramax and all my personal stuff. I never worry about protection and have never had an issue with over 200k.

On the farm we use Mystik in all our equipment and pickups. It's good oil that we can get local for a good price.

Although my uncle uses Schaeffer in his f150 farm pickup and their expedition cuz the dang cam phasers and stuff in those Furd motors are finicky with oil apparently. I know oil is important but in the 5.0s and 5.4s it's apparently a matter of ruining a motor or not

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Okay so here are the photos of the new M1-303A cut open and the barely used AC/Delco. Maybe someone that has cut open more filters than I can chime in, but the M1 seems pretty sloppy. Not saying it won't work, just put together quickly. Note that the rips in the filter media were done by me.
Here is the M1-303A

Attachments

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,274 Posts
FILTER ABUSER! :teehee
Interesting, it looks like both are metal end caps?
Reports were, that the ac used paper. Maybe it's a diesel filter difference?

Size differences?
Diameter/length of media cylinder, number of pleats, pleat depth....trying to compare sq in of media.

Cut 'em open and see what's inside;
plastic or metal core? Bypass valve? etc.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Size differences?
Diameter/length of media cylinder, number of pleats, pleat depth....trying to compare sq in of media.

Cut 'em open and see what's inside;
plastic or metal core? Bypass valve? etc.
Here are my findings:

M1-303A:
66 Pleats
3/4" Pleat depth
4 1/4" x 3 7/8" cylinder (measuring outside of cap to cap and diameter of cap)
Metal caps and core
Blue plastic bypass valve
Noticeably easier to rip at seam and tear open compared to AC, even though it was new

AC/Delco PF2232:
61 Pleats
3/4" Pleat depth
4 3/16" x 3 7/8" cylinder (measuring outside of cap to cap and diameter of cap)
Metal caps and core
Blue plastic bypass valve
Noticeably harder to rip at seam and tear open compared to M1, even though it was oil soaked.

I haven't ruled out the idea that perhaps the AC was harder to rip the media due to it being oil soaked therefore it would be more pliable. Where as the M1 was dry and more "brittle."

·
Registered
29 Posts
always grew up with Rotella being used for diesels. When I bought this new Duramax it came with Dlevac in it and I decided to stick with it. Seems to be good stuff so far. I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
44 Posts
With my diesels I have always ran delo regular motor oil with a quart of Lucas additive. A year ago or more I purchased the amsoil dual oil filter bypass kit and switched to their synthetics in everything on my truck Buying in bulk was cheaper (still spendy) but people are claiming 12-15k mile oil changes or once a year.

I travel a lot for work so this to me makes sense. Now you don’t have to use amsoil if you don’t want to. the kit works in conjunction with your regular oil filter and puts 2 more filters on your frame wherever you want. One is an amsoil 2 micron filter and another full flow filter Pretty awesome my oil stays Golden now and I change it about 8-9000 miles some people already do that with just rotella. But difference is I have 3 oil filters now The amsoil system in a hour of driving will filter the whole system several times.

So to me regular oil delo is good enough. I work on a portable rock crusher and we buy all of our fluids from chevron even the grease. We’re talkin 120k pound loaders and giant haul trucks. Our company uses Donaldson filters. This company has been around for 50 something years and is the biggest mobile rock crushing company in the world. So delo and Donaldson is and has always been good enough for them. Plus chevron will send you test bottles and test your oils for free to see if there is any thing you need to worry about in your oil samples.

My 2 cents. Delo regular oil and amsoil synthetic.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, I know there are countless post on opinion of oil brands. I have never seen a poll so I figured I would start one. I run Rotella T6, which I know is good, but it is the only thing on my truck I haven't research. So why do I run Rotella? Because when I bought my first diesel at 18, my dad said, "Use Rotella." So I did lol. I don't have any complaints but don't really have anything to compare it to either. So just wanting to see what everyone out there is using in your Duramax!

·
Registered
13 Posts
What kind of spring was in it? A coil spring is a bit better, blade spring speaks of cheap. Metal caps and of course the all important
filter media, which you probably cant discern any difference.
As for oil, I use Dello, but Id suggest you just stick with a name brand CJ-4, I dont beleive there is a nickles difference between brands.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mobil 1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your dad was right. But remember, that was probably when there was no fully synthetic oil like Mobil1 and the new synthetic Rotella of today. The old Rotella was and is today a simple formula made from crude oil deposits that doesn't give the oiling properties, shear protection, and viscosity guarantees found in newer synthetics and it had to be changed every 3,000 miles which ultimately made it more expensive than the longer and better cost effective oils that we should be using today. Everyone has an opinion and that's okay, but the chemists, engineers, and physicists were right and their detailed and comprehensive reports have been vetted across the world and reports recommend using synthetic lubricants.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
What kind of spring was in it? A coil spring is a bit better, blade spring speaks of cheap. Metal caps and of course the all important
filter media, which you probably cant discern any difference.
As for oil, I use Dello, but Id suggest you just stick with a name brand CJ-4, I dont beleive there is a nickles difference between brands.
Both the AC/Delco and Mobil1 filters had a blade spring for the filter, coil spring for the bypass valve .

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
So delo and Donaldson is and has always been good enough for them.
I use a Donaldson filter on my lift pump and run their Powercore air filter. I am amazed at how well the Powercore filters and how much dust it holds. My next oil change will be with a Baldwin filter but I may try Donaldsons oil filter after that. Its just expensive compared to Baldwin. I am running Schaeffer's 9000 5w40 oil right now and so far I am impressed. My truck seems noticeably quieter and smoother. Alot of people claim to get better mileage too. Well mine has gone from 18.2mpg to 20.4mpg. I'm not believing it though until I hand calculate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
3 filters??

With my diesels I have always ran delo regular motor oil with a quart of Lucas additive. A year ago or more I purchased the amsoil dual oil filter bypass kit and switched to their synthetics in everything on my truck Buying in bulk was cheaper (still spendy) but people are claiming 12-15k mile oil changes or once a year.

I travel a lot for work so this to me makes sense. Now you don’t have to use amsoil if you don’t want to. the kit works in conjunction with your regular oil filter and puts 2 more filters on your frame wherever you want. One is an amsoil 2 micron filter and another full flow filter Pretty awesome my oil stays Golden now and I change it about 8-9000 miles some people already do that with just rotella. But difference is I have 3 oil filters now The amsoil system in a hour of driving will filter the whole system several times.

So to me regular oil delo is good enough. I work on a portable rock crusher and we buy all of our fluids from chevron even the grease. We’re talkin 120k pound loaders and giant haul trucks. Our company uses Donaldson filters. This company has been around for 50 something years and is the biggest mobile rock crushing company in the world. So delo and Donaldson is and has always been good enough for them. Plus chevron will send you test bottles and test your oils for free to see if there is any thing you need to worry about in your oil samples.

My 2 cents. Delo regular oil and amsoil synthetic.
HOW can you have 3 filters on your truck?? The AMSOIL Dual Remote Bypass System is a single unit which uses a spin-on adapter that is installed IN PLACE of the OEM filter, NOT in addition to it. Once installed, your vehicle has 2 filters, 1 full-flow & 1 bypass. (TIP: When installing AMSOIL spin-on adapters, use Permatex #2 on all treads.) BTW: AMSOIL Ea Bypass filters are 2 micron filters, but they can actually filter contaminants less than 1 micron. (Sub-micron) The Ea full-flow filters filter 4 microns.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
HOW can you have 3 filters on your truck?? The AMSOIL Dual Remote Bypass System is a single unit which uses a spin-on adapter that is installed IN PLACE of the OEM filter, NOT in addition to it. Once installed, your vehicle has 2 filters, 1 full-flow & 1 bypass. (TIP: When installing AMSOIL spin-on adapters, use Permatex #2 on all treads.) BTW: AMSOIL Ea Bypass filters are 2 micron filters, but they can actually filter contaminants less than 1 micron. (Sub-micron) The Ea full-flow filters filter 4 microns.
As of right now I can't vote on this poll because I'm "inbetween" oils.'dunno;
I had the dealer change the oil the first 3 times. Missed out on my free 4th one. After that is when I switched over to amsoil and installed a remote bypass oil filter system on it. That lasted about 1300 miles. I was pulling my 44' 5th wheel home and got within a mile of the house when all of the sudden lights and chimes went off like a 747 was going to crash. I shut that engine off immediately and coasted for just over a half mile stopping in my subdivision with $150 worth of amsoil leaving a blood trail right down the middle of the road where it all started and a huge puddle mess in front of a neighbors house. Come to find out a fitting on the adapter plate came loose and twisted down blowing the oil line off. What a [email protected] mess,... truck, trailer, road,... I put a spare AC oil filter I had on it and filled it back up with Delvac 1300.

That's the reason I quoted this, the tip quote above. Use threadlock on every thread. I haven't re installed that bypass system on it yet, but it will be going back on. Everything will be getting threadlock and I'm gonna take it a step more and use some of that security paint. Make things easier to look over if anything is starting to loosen up. Then amsoil will be going (back) in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As of right now I can't vote on this poll because I'm "inbetween" oils.'dunno;
I had the dealer change the oil the first 3 times. Missed out on my free 4th one. After that is when I switched over to amsoil and installed a remote bypass oil filter system on it. That lasted about 1300 miles. I was pulling my 44' 5th wheel home and got within a mile of the house when all of the sudden lights and chimes went off like a 747 was going to crash. I shut that engine off immediately and coasted for just over a half mile stopping in my subdivision with $150 worth of amsoil leaving a blood trail right down the middle of the road where it all started and a huge puddle mess in front of a neighbors house. Come to find out a fitting on the adapter plate came loose and twisted down blowing the oil line off. What a [email protected] mess,... truck, trailer, road,... I put a spare AC oil filter I had on it and filled it back up with Delvac 1300.

That's the reason I quoted this, the tip quote above. Use threadlock on every thread. I haven't re installed that bypass system on it yet, but it will be going back on. Everything will be getting threadlock and I'm gonna take it a step more and use some of that security paint. Make things easier to look over if anything is starting to loosen up. Then amsoil will be going (back) in.
DO NOT use a tread lock! Also, DO NOT use "ATV Blue" Many Synthetics will dissolve both of those.. Use Permatex # 2 instead.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
Sure you can do that too........if you don't want the ultimate protection parts wear.
I think if I had a truck that I used to haul every single day, that would rack up miles very quickly, like a hotshot truck or similar, I would want that. But lets be honest here, there are too many Duramax trucks with high mileage that didn't have a 2 micron oil bypass filter system. I just don't think its necessary with the amount of miles most people put on their truck before getting a new one. But that's just my opinion, my truck could bite the bullet tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Sure you can do that too........if you don't want the ultimate protection parts wear.
Amsoil and their triple wazoo, double throwdown bypass filters show the same wear metals and in the same concentrations as dino oil and a decent single spin on.

All that crap can make the oil last longer.... but does nothing to make the engine last longer.

61 - 80 of 133 Posts