Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read lots about tick after oil change. Does anyone have experience with a particular type or brand of oil that lessens the tick ? Help appreciated.

I've heard claims about Amsoil 15W40 synthetic helping but didn't know if that was real or sales BS.

Does anyone has personal experience ?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I think the largest factor on AMSOIL is the fact that your oilchange times jump up from 7500 miles to like 25k-30k, I can't remember perfectly but it is in that ballpark.

I personally run regular oil because no matter what oil I have in my truck I will never let it go over 7500miles for a change. This is just personal preference.

but there really are like 2,000+ threads on here about Motor oil is you use the search feature. I'm sure your Question will be answered in one of them

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Im using Valvoline & my tick, tick isnt that noticeable.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I didnt have the tick till I changed the oil to Rotella, and have had it since. Im about to start experimenting with different oils to try and lessen it just to see if it will, but Ill still probably go back to Rotella. 2.5 gallon jugs here are $30 and just the right amount for a Duramax oil change. Ill let ya know if I find one that actually makes it quieter. Been listening to that tick for two years, just use to it now.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
The AMSOIL 15W-40 quieted my tick. I use their Diesel and Marine Synthetic blend. I am pretty happy with it!!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have a buddy that has a LMM truck and he swears his made noise after a oil chande. he said its because they just changed the oil and fired it up right away. he says to start the engine then shut it right off. then repeat a few times to get the oil pressure up. i guess he is talking about the amount of time the engine runs after a oil change with no oil pressure. sounds reasonable but never have done it myself and haven't had any problems.

·
Vendor
10,961 Posts
There is another thread on this very issue where an AMSOIL customer switched to a different brand and the tick came up. He switched back to AMSOIL on the next oil change. I have been using AMSOIL in both my trucks for since I bought them and in gassers before that. I have never had the tick.

With the AMSOIL Ea oil filter the drain interval for the older diesels or a newer one without a DPF is up to 3XOEM (about 22.5k miles) or 1 yr, whichever comes first, guaranteed.

If I can help with AMSOIL products please let me know.

Take care,

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Mrmanners, can I ask, what about an LMM with the DPF still intact? How long between changes with the Amsoil?

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using AutoGuide App

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Who cares about it ticking? Its only oil bubbles popping. Its not like its hurting anything.

·
Vendor
10,961 Posts
If you are running your DPF still then your drain interval is OEM unless you do oil analysis to ensure you are not having issues with fuel dilution. AMSOIL now offers a full Synthetic designed for OEM drain intervals called OE 15E-40 diesel oil. It meets or exceeds the api requirements for CI and CJ4 requirements. It is also cheaper than the extended drain versions. I would run it with the ea oil filter.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Thank you for that info! I will definitely check that out at my next change.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FYI for those interested.
I changed to Amsoil and Wix filter.... from OEM Rotella
No change. Same characteristic tick.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Okay I'm going to add I just picked up my 2012 3500 LML in the book it clearly states oil change should be done based on the oil life monitor it mentions NOTHING about 7500 miles it also states in the manual that you may find you only have to change the oil every year.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have that old tick in my 04, just had all the injectors replaced and it sure quieted things down alot. As far as the tick, from what I have researched it is inherint to the engine, something about an oil passage that causes the oil to pop (tick )

·
Registered
448 Posts
Who cares about the tick? It's normal, just drive it. Mine actually does it worse after an oil change with fresh oil in there and that's only when it's been running about 2-3 minutes and stops when it gets warm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts