Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is the first time I am doing the oil and tranmission fluid change. I cannot find anything in the manual. ANyone have instructions.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,309 Posts
Ok, this is the first time I am doing the oil and tranmission fluid change. I cannot find anything in the manual. ANyone have instructions.
Simple stuff, how many miles? The D-Max takes 10 qts of 15w-40, most commonly used is Rotella or Delo. I use Wix filters, part number 57202.

Your Allison uses Dex VI synthetic, 7.5 qts if you just pull the drain plug or 10.5 qts if you also drop the pan. It’s not necessary to change the internal sump pump filter until many more miles down the road. The small external filter is Wix part number 57701, it has a washer shaped magnet on top that needs to move to the new filter.

How’s the Fuel filter? That’ll be part # 33910. :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had the truck since May and only drive to the lake or dunes. It has like 55k on it. Are there any step by step instructions on these changes? I am kinda anal and like to know I do it by the book, you know what I mean?

·
Registered
9,706 Posts
take drain plug out, drain oil. remove old filter, pre-oil and re-install new filter. lol. Just messin with ya. :Nothingtoadd

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had the truck since May and only drive to the lake or dunes. It has like 55k on it. Are there any step by step instructions on these changes? I am kinda anal and like to know I do it by the book, you know what I mean?
Hey y'all,
Don't mean to hijack the thread, I just have the same question for an '01 LB7 with 132K on the clock and didn't want to ask the same question in a new thread. I too bought my Max back in May with 126K on it and the "Change Engine Oil" message just came on yesterday. Want to make sure I go the correct route. Are the oil and filter recommendations the same for mine as the previous question? Or is it time to start considering synthetic? Ol' Rattler was meticulously maintained by the previous owner. EVERY scheduled maintenance performed on time by the local Chevy dealer and documented in the owner's manual.
Beers,
Ken

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,309 Posts
Are the oil and filter recommendations the same for mine as the previous question? Or is it time to start considering synthetic?
'06 and newer have the 6-spd, which requires DexVI. Earlier models (yours) are DexIII, but you can go with DexVI. Everything else is the same.

My intervals are 5k engine oil/filter and spin-on Allison, 7k fuel filter and the Allison at 20k, but I'm in heavy use.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,309 Posts
take drain plug out, drain oil. remove old filter, pre-oil and re-install new filter. lol. Just messin with ya. :Nothingtoadd
I prefer to start with the filter, then move to the drain plug. :D

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Hey y'all,
Don't mean to hijack the thread, I just have the same question for an '01 LB7 with 132K on the clock and didn't want to ask the same question in a new thread. I too bought my Max back in May with 126K on it and the "Change Engine Oil" message just came on yesterday. Want to make sure I go the correct route. Are the oil and filter recommendations the same for mine as the previous question? Or is it time to start considering synthetic? Ol' Rattler was meticulously maintained by the previous owner. EVERY scheduled maintenance performed on time by the local Chevy dealer and documented in the owner's manual.
Beers,
Ken
Ken,

I would change it to synthetic if you want to make it last as long as possible before haveing major engine issues but thats just me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts