Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished changing my engine oil in my LB7 and go to check the level one last time. Stick the dipstick in, pull it back out and the the very end of the dipstick is missing. What a stupid part to not design one piece. I'm assuming there would be some type of screen to keep that from entering the motor and causing damage? Am I safe to start the truck? Do I drain out my brand new oil and hope it comes out? Advice from those who know these motors inside out would be appreciated. I have not started the truck yet. Glad I'm at home and not on the road somewhere.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The lower pan is removable.... time to get on it.

There is no chance it will go through the oil pump screen.... but there is a tiny / micro chance it could get tangled up in the crank and rods if your out 4 wheelin it.

Pulling the lower pan is easy enough....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Hopefully it will just come out the drain plug and save the labor.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Highly doubtful..... The lower pan is actually two sumps, with a hump between them. If its in the front side sump, its in there for life.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
Highly doubtful..... The lower pan is actually two sumps, with a hump between them. If its in the front side sump, its in there for life.
or until you drop the pan and fish it out with your fingers.

You could try a long piece of stiff wire, bent on the end to form an elbow to see if you could reach through the drain hole and scraping the bottom of the pan pull i to the rear. There you may be able to pick it up with some spring fingers tool and remove it.

Personally I think dropping the pan would ultimately be faster and easier. I would also probably spring for a brand new drain pan so I could re-use the oil I just put in. The new drain pan would be way cheaper than new oil.

It would bother the hell out of me knowing it was in there, Id have to remove it, but that is just me.

Some people would leave it there and it would probably be fine. I just hate that word, "probably". My luck, it would fail, at the WORST possible moment.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
Get a good sized magnet, stick it to the bottom of the pan and forget about it.
I think the piece is aluminum, won't work

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya I think that piece is aluminum too or I would attach a magnet to the dip stick and fish around through the drain hole. Good call on the new drain pan, I was thinking that while laying in bed last night. I'll be headed to autozone for a new drain pan when they open this morning. I'm guessing I need a new gasket for the oil pan if I drop it?

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
Ya I think that piece is aluminum too or I would attach a magnet to the dip stick and fish around through the drain hole. Good call on the new drain pan, I was thinking that while laying in bed last night. I'll be headed to autozone for a new drain pan when they open this morning. I'm guessing I need a new gasket for the oil pan if I drop it?
I just read in the Haynes manual that you need RTV sealant as a pan gasket. Rather than just regurgitate what the manual says I just tried scanning the page. Too big to upload.

I took a pic, uploaded that. I hope it is readable telling you how to drop and reinstall the pan.

Just my tip, use a cordless drill after you have the bolts broken loose, there are a lot of them :grin2:

PS. When it posted it posted upside down. I guess you can use ur laptop and read it with the screen laying flat, it worked for me.

Good Luck, let us know how it turns out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
just for shits and grins I saved a copy upside down, lets see how it comes out on the forum.

STILL UPSIDE DOWN

I DON"T GET IT 'dunno;

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
Moved to LB7

This has happened before- the piece will just roll around in the pan- very little chance it could cause damage.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the help, especially the photo of the directions. I dropped the oil pan and got the dip stick end but I'm not out of my driveway yet. It says to remove crossmember but I'm guessing my BDS 6" lift crossmember is different than the stock one. I would have to take half my lift off to accomplish this. I'm thinking to start cleaning the old gasket out best I can with the few inches I have. Am I missing something? Any more advice? Thanks a lot guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
If you got the pan off, theres no reason to mess with the crossmember.

I'm curious how it failed. Did the braided portion of the wire fail, or did it pull out of the crimp?

If all you found was the dip stick end, then your good to clean everything up, and reseal the pan.

Some guys have found a piston oil cooling jet ( or two) in the pan, but it sounds like you're fine.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I reread your post. You didnt get the pan out.... correct? You just got it low enough to fish out the broken off tip, right?

If you can reach in the small gap to clean both surfaces, your good. Be REAL careful not to razor blade any crap off, and have it fall into the sump.

You might want to flush out the sump with some cheapie oil ( with the drain plug out) before you refill it with the good stuff.

Do you have a small mirror to peek into the sump after cleaning the mating surfaces, to make sure its all clean in there?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think the piece is aluminum, won't work

Ah yes. I had this happen to me when I touched my metal dipstick to the positive terminal and it melted off and fell down the tube. Managed to push it through with the new dipstick and the magnet held it till I pulled the engine 5 years later cuz of the metal part still attached.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
I reread your post. You didnt get the pan out.... correct? You just got it low enough to fish out the broken off tip, right?

If you can reach in the small gap to clean both surfaces, your good. Be REAL careful not to razor blade any crap off, and have it fall into the sump.

You might want to flush out the sump with some cheapie oil ( with the drain plug out) before you refill it with the good stuff.

Do you have a small mirror to peek into the sump after cleaning the mating surfaces, to make sure its all clean in there?
ALL Excellent pieces of advice.

If it was me flushing it before reattaching it permanently Id consider using something that would act as a good solvent and flow better to move anything that may be in the pan out the drain hole.

Kerosene comes to mind. Since whatever you are using will not be oil intended for a diesel engine you are not going to be starting it while that fluid is in the pan anyway.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was able to spin the pan 360 degrees and put it at a pretty good angle. That allowed me to to razor blade and steel wool the old gasket off and also wipe the pan, blow with an air hose and wipe it out again. I felt real good about the pan being clean, probably cleaner than yesterday when I changed the oil and started this mess! The truck fired up and its not leaking oil so hopefully I'm good to go. I have a 125 mile drive to work tomorrow so that will be a good test for it. Thanks again

1 - 20 of 22 Posts