Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told by the dealer that engine oil (and filter) need to be changed every 3,000 miles religiously. According to the oil life on the display, that is not the case. I have an '06 LBZ spinning an Allison, and I rarely get the chance to work the truck the way it's set up to be worked. Is it better to listen to the dealership on this, is it better to go by what the truck's computer says, or is there a different service interval to follow? I've been running Rotella, and I'm thinking about switching to Mobil Delvac 1300 at my next change (which may or may not be coming due shortly) Any help on this would be appreciated.

:help

·
Vanned this place
8,122 Posts
Take the oil + filter of your choice. Run the oil + filter as many miles as you feel comfortable. Then pull a sample of the oil and send it for analysis. Adjust your oil change intervals from there

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Stupid question here, where do I send the oil for analysis?

·
Banned
17,252 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
My truck doesnt get worked at all, just driven. I run a delco filter and rotella t for usually 6-8k miles. The change engine oil light never comes on, But I think it is set for 10k mile intervals from the factory. I change my fuel filter more then my oil, also run a delco fuel filter.

·
Vendor
10,953 Posts
I think any of the lube shops or dealerships asking you back every 3k is old school and they only want you back that often to keep their business going. Truth is, most oils are holding dyno oils are holding up far longer than 3k. A member here ran Rotella T for 12k and did an analysis to see how it was holding up. It came back good for continued use. Synthetics hold up far longer than that with some recently talked about on here going over 30k miles on one oil change.

My point? You can run it longer, typically you are good between 5k - 10k miles on dyno. I hope this helps.

Take care,

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
blackstone labs.

Run the oil you want and the filter you want. You can be cheap and run a fram filter and run rotella for 10k miles, or you can spend some money and run delo or whatever with a mobil 1 filter for 3000 miles. I just did an oil change yesterday with 600 miles on the oil :)
Did you mean 30,000 miles instead of 3000? if you didn't then spending that extra money doesn't make much sense:rolleyes:

·
Registered
609 Posts
the LML goes anywhere between 4-6k between monthly oil changes depending on how many trips it makes to the dealer for other service, and the LBZ goes 7k or now probably 6 months. Running Delvac 1300 on both....

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I'm on 11,000 on my Rotella Synthetic. Getting ready to change because I am a big girl and am worried about the quality due to the regens the truck still does and the fact that I didnt put the best of filters on it. Going with a mobile 1 filter this time

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Did you mean 30,000 miles instead of 3000? if you didn't then spending that extra money doesn't make much sense:rolleyes:
I'm assuming no because Brian is "different".....

i have ran dino Rotella for 12k miles, but I did an oil analysis to see how it did. Still had lots of life in it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
That makes me feel better about running my rotella t 6-8k!

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
if u run amsoil u dont need to change it , if u run anything else change it anywhere from 2000 to 8000 mile is my opinion

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I change mine once a year.....that's usually about 4k miles, and probably 2500 of that is pulling a trailer that usually has no less then 8,000lbs on it not including the trailer, sometimes much much more.

·
Banned
17,252 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
No one in their right mind would go 30k miles. :confused:

Well, maybe a few.

The point I was trying to make, was put fresh oil in it more than less.

Now, I wouldnt go more than 3k on the ford 6.7's, but thats just me. :)
Oh I agree I would never go that long. But spending more money and changing more often doesn't seem to be better than spending less and changing during the GM specified intervals. I mean if you're just going to be regular dyno in then do it when GM says to. If you're going to spend money then get the synthetic along with a good filter and let it go for a while.

I think we are headed in the same direction but are just missing eachothers thoughts. My oops:rockin

·
Registered
794 Posts
I go 7500m dino oil. My oil change monitor goes about 10K. Check local oil supplier for local labs or I'm sure you can buy on-line kits. I've got analysis's from Cat, Cenex, Universal Lubricants.

·
Registered
446 Posts
How does the Mobil Delvac hold up? I am between that and Rotella but think I will go with the Mobil.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
How does the Mobil Delvac hold up? I am between that and Rotella but think I will go with the Mobil.
Either one is good but the Delvac has lower Volatility and some other charicteristics that make Rotella my 2'nd choice IMHO given those two.

And 5-7K Mi intervals will be perfectly fine, anything over that amount, I would recommend sampling, especially if you're within some sort of warranty..although most modern Dino oils can go 10K or more on a Non-DPF engine.
If you decide to do extended intervals, a Synthetic would also be a better choice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
when gm worked on these engines they put the northstar engine oil program into computer and recurved it for engine, so it goes by #starts, temp, driving to calculate change interval. have had truck since new, don't put lots of miles on it. used to change oil every 6 months rotella 15w-40 dino and mobile 1 filter, 2 years ago after lots of thought changed to rotella 5w-40 syn and ac-delco filter. ran it by computer, did not test. 23months/9000miles. engine started quieter and oil looked cleaner, not solid black fluid. still had clear oil with black suspended in it. long oil life is not accepted by many, was in group the other day and this discussion came up mentioned my last oil change and thought i was going to get an exercism done on me. shop teacher in HS ran bypass oil filter in all of his rides, changed full-flow filter and engine oil filter, added oil to full, but never changed engine oil specificly, new oil at filter change recharged additive package.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts