Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just contacted my local allison dealer, they want 2hrs labour plus parts to change the oil/filter! Is there somthing wrong here or is it really a 2hr job?

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
907 Posts
That is ridiculous. I assume you mean oil change for the trans? Open the drain plug, drain the fluid out, undo the spin on filter, put a new Allison filter on. (Make sure you get the Allison filter) take filter ring magnet off and clean it off, swap over to new filter, wet filter O Ring with ATF, tighten filter and drain plug, pour 7.4 Quarts of ATF down the trans dipstick tube. We need to know the year of your truck to determine what kind of ATF you need.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya it's the transmission, it's a 2011 and I'm going to use the transyen and use the dual flush method.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Then forget Allison and do it yourself for a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
907 Posts
Just curious as to why your flushing? Mine is an 01 and I have never flushed. I drain and replace fluid every 20,000. Every engine oil change I rotate a fuel filter one time, then the trans spin on. Also fill out your sig so we know what mods and other things your truck has

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just want to get as much of the old fluid out and read this was the most effective method, if its unnecessary then I'll save my money but I don't know how the truck was used before I bought it (50,000km) and I'm a little anal with my vehicles. I have nothing to fill out, she's bone stock and staying that way until my warranty is up.

Cayenne, your old avatar was much nicer.

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
907 Posts
My girls got 244,000 on her and I push it pretty hard sometimes. As long as it's shifting fine I would just do a drain and fill. Plus flushing the allison isn't really a flush. What they do for most automatic transmissions isn't healthy for an Allison. If your overly concerned pull the pan and valve body and replace your internal filter as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just curious as to why your flushing? Mine is an 01 and I have never flushed. I drain and replace fluid every 20,000. Every engine oil change I rotate a fuel filter one time, then the trans spin on. Also fill out your sig so we know what mods and other things your truck has
I'd be glad to buy your used trans fluid ! lol Change every 20k. Seriuosly?

I changed mine ( oil and filter) once at 125,000 miles and it now has 249,800 and it's never had an issue. I'll probably change it again in the next few months and that should get me to about 400,0000.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Where in Ontario are you, I'll come do it for half what they quoted..And unless you already have Transynd in the transmission a drain and refill, drive for a bit, drain and refill should be done to swap over to Transynd.

The spin on filter should be changed every 20k miles or so and the fluid should be flushed every 75k miles. The internal filter doesn't need to be replaced unless the trans is getting an overhaul.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm in Oshawa but I have no problem doing this myself once it warms up in the next week or so. I'm assuming it's the oem fluid so I don't think it's the transynd fluid in there. Ok so this is why I figured the double drain/flush was the correct way. So now I'm doing the double drain with transynd. I just called the dealer to see what their prices were like and had to refrain from laughing when they said 2hrs @ $120/hr but I probably will when I go pick up my fluid and a couple filters.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I just did a flush yesterday as I'm already running Transynd, undo the drain let most of it drain out. Undo the 12 bolts holding the pan on, pour the rest out. Then take paper towel and wipe the inside clean, mine has a magnet in the pan that I be sure to get clean. Make sure there's some fluid on the gasket and put it back on. Then refill, drive like 50-100km and drain and refill. When you do the spin-on be sure to get the magnet and wipe it clean and then I also put fluid on the gasket before tightening.

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
907 Posts
We get trans fluid in 55 gallon drums for all our semis and pickups. We use it for hydrolic fluid also and all the used stuff goes into the semis fuel tanks. I say 20,000 but sometimes it will go longer than that. Every week I check all my fluids and run between my fingers to make sure there isn't metal shavings. What can I say I'm paid to take care of vehicles and equipment. I try to do a good job :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts