Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering a change to synthetic oil. (04/2500/60,000 miles). What type/brand/wt of oil does everyone use? I use synthetic in my VW tdi, (VW requirement). Any thoughts?

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
I use castrol tection 15/40, i have never liked synthetic oil for engines but to each his own. im not saying its bad i just dot beleive in using it!!

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I use Delvac 1 5w-40.....but it is pretty cold up here. Rotella makes a sythetic that is pretty good and reasonably priced. I have heard good things about the amsoil stuff too. It kinda depends on how much you want to spend and if you are going to extended oil drain intervals by using oil analysis.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
I planned to use synthetic in my truck until I tried to find it. I went to the post exchange and they had no oil petroleum or synthetic based meeting the CI-4 or CH-4 rating for diesel engines so I went to two auto parts stores and none their either, so I checked Wal-Mart and they had 3 petroleum based brands but no synthetic. So I guess I won’t be using synthetic for awhile I don't feel like driving all over to not find any. Maybe I need to let my fingers do the walking. But about your question I would only use it if you plan on extending your oil change interval. If you plan to keep the same interval you are just wasting money and getting no benefit from purchasing synthetic.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Amsoil everywhere for me. I even have it in my lawnmower.:rof

AME 15w40 is what you would be looking for.

We also have some fluid designed specifically for the allison transmission.

You can check it all out here.

Also, you can call or PM me for forum member specials.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.