Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Sure this topic has been beat to heck but wanted input. 2016 duramax full delete etc. Did and oil change and used shell t4 15-40. Think I lost my mind buying as I normally run the t5 blend. But wasn’t paying attention buying. Mobil 1 extended filter. Any issues running the conventional in this motor vs the blend or even full synthetic? Change my oil pretty religiously at 5k.

And secondly, Any additive I should run in the gas to keep injectors clean etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
your fine, odds are your changing your oil too soon even with a dyno oil, let alone a full or semi syn.

·
Registered
250 Posts
so I was going to ask about this too on when do you change your oil at 5k or do you wait to the truck says to meaning at what % do you change it at
I generally run mine down to 5%ish, i do keep track of my mileage though just to make sure it gets changed around 7500 or so miles. I dont feel the need to stretch it any further than that.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
I change mine at 5-6k 40%-50%, lots of city stop and go driving with some towing deleted using CASTROL Hypuron 15/40 syn blend.
Oil’s cheap insurance compared to the chance of sludge building up with some going 10k.
Dino oil is just fine, you can switch back and forth without any concerns except for what one worries about.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not sure why people try to overthink the engineering behind these trucks or do things their own way cuz they think it’s better.

Go by the DIC. When it says change it change it. That simple.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Do you know GM has the oil life set to hit 0% @ 10,000 miles no matter what your using your truck for.
Back in 07-10 anyway, I think they might have lowered it to 7500 miles a few years ago.
I wouldn’t trust that re-tarted oil life %,
I trust my own thinking.

Darn good engineering. 'uhNo

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do you know GM has the oil life set to hit 0% @ 10,000 miles no matter what your using your truck for.
Back in 07-10 anyway, I think they might have lowered it to 7500 miles a few years ago.
I wouldn’t trust that re-tarted oil life %,
I trust my own thinking.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

That’s a max life setting guideline. It will count you down sooner depending on usage. As it should. Engineering is just fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Purchased my firs Diesel Truck and I am wondering if anyone has used the Mobil 1 Full synthetic 5W 40 Turbo Diesel oil....

I ran full synthetic in my 2011 Silverado HD Gas motor and had no complaints... Not concerned about the cost, just wondering what everyone else thinks about full synthetic in a Diesel....'dunno;

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

That’s a max life setting guideline. It will count you down sooner depending on usage. As it should. Engineering is just fine.
Ok explain this.
On my truck, stock with DPF having regens about every 350-400 miles, Quadzilla and ATP delete tuning, servicing my truck reseting the oil life showing 100% at 5,000 miles my oil life is at 50%.
On the same truck only with Dmax tuner, Motor Ops and Ridge Runner tunes service my truck resetting the oil life showing 100% at 1,000 miles my oil life is 0%.
I've put these tunes in several times over the years, with the same results every time.
All the same driving for 11+ years.
Which means if I went by the oil life with these 3 tuners tunes, I'd be changing my oil every 1000 miles.
When I asked whats going and why the fast % dropping all 3 said 'dunno; GM has the oil life set at 10,000 miles to go from 100% to 0% in the tuning files and they didn't make any changes on the oil life setting, which THEY can make changes.
I'm not the only one that has this happening with the above tuning.

I contacted ATP (my 2nd EFI tuner) on what was happening with D tuners tunes, he was able to make a change so I wouldn’t have this % dropping so fast that bothered me.
What he did is his secret.
Ya, gm's engineering is just fine. fullofIT

Please explain what might be causing this URDONE, which you can't, then tell us all again how great GM's engineering is, and everyone should always go by the %.:rof

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Purchased my firs Diesel Truck and I am wondering if anyone has used the Mobil 1 Full synthetic 5W 40 Turbo Diesel oil....

I ran full synthetic in my 2011 Silverado HD Gas motor and had no complaints... Not concerned about the cost, just wondering what everyone else thinks about full synthetic in a Diesel....'dunno;
A lot of people run full synthetic in diesels, I just wouldn't run it in real hot climates, it'll get pretty thin in 120 degrees.
Some will run syn in the winter then dino, or blend in the summer months.
I run syn blend living in Az

·
Registered
229 Posts
I switch between Rotella and Delvac, depending upon who I can get rebates for and I haven't had any issues. I also change my oil when the percentage is at 30%. I don't trust the computer telling me when to do it. The 30% I go by is always between 5,500ish and 7,500ish miles depending upon what I did with the truck during that interval.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A lot of people run full synthetic in diesels, I just wouldn't run it in real hot climates, it'll get pretty thin in 120 degrees.
If you run a full synthetic 5W40 you will have the same viscosity at operating temperatures during the summer as a 15W40 dino blend. The viscosity of both oils at 212 F will be 40. The difference is at 0 F the full synthetic blend has a viscosity of 5 rather than 15. If you are in an area where the temps drop to below freezing your engine will have better lubrication with a 5W40 due to the lower vis at start up. In warm climates you should be fine running either blend, full syn oil just costs more.

IMO you are probably better to change the oil more frequently then what the DIC tells you - so you change it a little early, can only be good and is a minor cost. Also assuming you do it yourself you have an excuse to see what else is going on under there...

·
Registered
269 Posts
You really are the king of bad and incoherent advice.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
You really are the king of bad and incoherent advice.
This is what most people in Phx does that runs full synthetic in the winter months then Dino
during the hot summer months.
Many members have said this is what they do.

I wouldn’t waist my money on a full syn anyway where I live.
Just trying to answer a members question without a smart ass chiming in, but that’s what this particular forum is well known for.
But it’s expected from someone that’s a know it all that’s been a member since 4/2017

Also the longer intervals like 10-12k is just another dreamers myth.
You might read your GM Duramax manual
a little closer.
5/40 good and safe for up to 100*
15/40 good and safe above 100.*

·
Registered
108 Posts

Baloney. Oil life monitor is not a mileage counter, that's on your dashboard display. It works on an algorithm, sensing your usage. This is straight from a GM engineer who I met a heavy duty truck show in Wisconsin. Do I trust their algorithm? Not sure, I change mine at between 6 and 8 thousand, knowing what I've used the truck for. Please don't furnish any more bad info.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is from my manual. Looks like 5W40 and15W40 are good for the higher temps, I agree that an oil change interval above 10K is too much - maybe I am wasting my time and money but I feel good about it when I change it at ~7000km or ~4200miles...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
So my dealer, EFI forum masters, my EFI tuners are lying to me, ask any EFI tuner on what I’m saying.
Go figure.
Dip, I’m explaining info provided to me by these people.

Your so smart explain to me why my oil life drops from 100% to 0% in 1000 miles with 3 out of my 4 EFI tuners.
When mine was stock then deleted using Quadzilla and ATP tunes my oil life drops from 100% to 50% at 5000 miles.
Rob figured a way around this with EFI, what I don’t know because he won’t say.
This was a well know glitch with some 07.5-08 Dmax.
Another member Wolfn8tr has the same issues.
Explain this master 2 year forum expert person.

Your GM engineer was feeding you crap.
So who’s full of crap now, besides you

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
This is from my manual. Looks like 5W40 and15W40 are good for the higher temps, I agree that an oil change interval above 10K is too much - maybe I am wasting my time and money but I feel good about it when I change it at ~7000km or ~4200miles...
My 07.5 manual shows 100+ temps to use 15/40, 100 - it’s ok to use 5/40.
If your in cold climates running 15/40 just allow the engine to warm up a little longer before you take off driving.
In Central Az 115-120 degree days sometimes it doesn’t go below 100 at night.
5/40 not a good idea on diesels during our summer months.
I’ll dig out my manual the next time I’m in my truck.

At least you take pride with your vehicles ignoring the meter.
Oils cheap insurance engines are not cheap.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts