Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 04 GMC Duramax and am wondering about oil changes what oil shoud I use how often should I change it. I have heard of Delvac and was shocked at how cheap it was compared to synthetic oils. Can I use a 15k synthetic oil as I did in my gas engine??

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
There are many good synthetics out there....rotella T, Delvac 1(not delvac 1300), royal purple, and amsoil. You cannot use the same oil that you did in your gasser, but you could get 15,000 miles out of the oil as long as you do oil analysis and change the oil filter at least once during that time (I would change it every 5,000) or get a dual bypass filter system from amsoil and you can go a lot further on oil changes. It all depends on how you oil analysis comes back...you need ot look at the TBN number (amount of detergents in the oil) to know if it is still good to use. Whatever oil you choose just make sure it meets the rating for your diesel engine....I believe it is a CI-4/CH-4 rating for our trucks. You need to look at the little symbol on the jug. Most common diesel oil weights are 15w40 for conventional and 5w40 for synthetic. (amsoil has a heavy duty diesel (HDD) oil that is rated 5w30)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts