Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this weekend when idling my oil pressure was dropping down to about 20 pounds. Got me thinking it may be low on oil or something since this was a pretty new development. I checked the oil and it is pitch black almost burnt black. Now I paid the stealership to do an oil change 1500 miles ago, think these snakey punks didn't actually change it? Just seems odd I start running real low pressure and it looks burned. This was its first oil change so seems odd it would be burn after 1500 miles.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
This must be your first diesel right? It doesn't take the oil long to look black. About 20-30 PSI is what i run when the engine is warmed up. With all you emissions stuff on the engine, you would be surprized how quick the oil turns black. Just because the oil is black, doesn't mean it is too dirty to use. Did you check your oil right after they changed it? If you didn't, there is no way to tell if they changed it or not. If I ever have a dealer do something liike change oil and filters....I always mark the filter in a way so I can tell if they changed it. Also, I check the oil level before driving off. I have heard too many horror stories of dealers forgetting to put oil back in the truck. That is why I do most all my own maintenance. That way I know it gets done and done right.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Im with ob_1jr.... My truck usually runs at about 30psi during high rpms and 10-15 at idle. I did my FIRST oil change on my truck at 2500 miles so I started it up shut it off and checked to make sure the oil was still full after it went through all the passages and filter.. When I pulled the dipstick out it was almost BLACK! I drove the truck and checked it a few hindread miles later and it didnt even look like it was done... Im sure you didnt get riped off but marking the filter etc would show if the work is being done. :rolleyes:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea this is my first Diesel, always been in gassers so it takes some getting used to on how some stuff looks and is maintained. I pulled it out in the sunlight and it still has a nice clear portion to it and it is not gritty at all so I think it is fine. I will be marking filters from now on though and probably not going back to a stealership. This is the same place that has replaced my bumper and hitch after I was rearended with 1500 series crap instead of the 2500 stuff. Just been a miserable experience with them and less than 11k miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts