Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an 07 lbz and I always just went by the oil life monitor so I can't tell you the mileage between changes. Anyways my 07 would use about a quart to quart and a half of oil between oil changes. I put over 900,000 Mike's on that truck and it was consistent since day one on oil consumption. Fast forward to now and my 17 L5P. This thing...twice now, has not read on the dipstick when I would change it. It has 140,000 miles now. I know some of you will say I need to check it often between changes, but I don't and feel like I shouldn't be worried about running low on a new vehicle. What have you all noticed about oil consumption on your trucks?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just barely touching the dipstick and the truck has been sitting for a few days.

Attachments

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
That's barely 1qt low.

GM has always said that 1 qt every 3500-5000 miles is considered normal. Pulling daily, I've always had to add 1/2-1 qt between oil changes on all my Dmax.

I've been on Schaeffer's 9000 full syn now for 170k+ miles in the LBZ, and lately I haven't seen any drop. I'm at 25% or so left on the DIC and I pulled the stick just yesterday, still spot on for level.

Maybe it's just a coincidence with the syn oil.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's barely 1qt low.

GM has always said that 1 qt every 3500-5000 miles is considered normal. Pulling daily, I've always had to add 1/2-1 qt between oil changes on all my Dmax.

I've been on Schaeffer's 9000 full syn now for 170k+ miles in the LBZ, and lately I haven't seen any drop. I'm at 25% or so left on the DIC and I pulled the stick just yesterday, still spot on for level.

Maybe it's just a coincidence with the syn oil.
forgive my ignorance, so barely touching the dipstick is only one QT low?

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
'bout that
Drop a qt in and see, the L5P might be different.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
I guess if it's cold and no start up. I just base the being full when checking it after a stop and getting fuel...which is in the middle of the stick.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
This seems appropriate for this thread

Attachments

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
I think many times, the level only gets checked after a change. The loss is probably more prevalent than folks think, time/lives move fast and it's a forget-to-do thing. I can't believe the cycle is already time when I see the DIC approach 0

·
Premium Member
4,543 Posts
I would like to point out that your truck may be a 17 but 140,000 miles is hardly a new vehicle. That is actually more miles than my 08 has.

BTW, Ive never had to add oil between changes, but I do them at 5000 miles regardless of the DIC reading

·
Premium Member
4,543 Posts
Drove a 290 Cummins 40 yrs. ago that used a 1-1 1/2 gallons a day.
Yeah, and 40 years ago a de Havilland Beaver had the ability to add oil while in flight to its Pratt & Whitney Wasp Radial engine because sometimes you had to do that (by the gallon).

Things have gotten better in the last 40 years

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Ive never had to add oil between changes, but I do them at 5000 miles regardless of the DIC reading
Generally the loss occurs after 5k miles, so you'd never notice.
(quit wasting earl! :teehee )

·
Registered
372 Posts
I change oil off of the DIC on my LMM. Been using Rotella T6 and never have to add oil between changes. Mine just simply does not use oil. Got to admit that I don't pull heavy loads often. Mostly an enclosed trailer, bass boat, and a 20ft gooseneck car hauler. That small enclosed trailer (for the motorcycle) seems to work the engine the hardest. Pulling that aerodynamic brick will suck my gas mileage down more than the gooseneck with a car on it. Dean

·
Premium Member
4,543 Posts
Generally the loss occurs after 5k miles, so you'd never notice.
(quit wasting earl! :teehee )
I hear a lot Im wasting oil, and I probably am. But years ago a DIC, and my reliance on it, cost me an engine. As a result I no longer trust them for something that critical.

Admittedly I am going overboard at full synthetic at 5000, but I KNOW for a fact that the oil will not be the reason my engine dies. :grin2:

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
I reserve the 2nd trip meter as a backup to the DIC, and black marker write the install mileage on my fuel filters. Wish we had a 3rd trip meter, as the 1st trip meter I use for fuel tank runs.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I work my LML pretty hard and it doesn't use any oil. I'm typically towing roughly half the time in the 25k gross weight neighborhood and shoot for 10k mile oil change intervals, so sometimes a little over that when I get back home and have the opportunity to change. I've typically questioned guys that said their vehicles doesn't use any oil until I got this one. I top off to the full mark on the stick when I fill it and at 10k miles, I really can't tell that it's down much at all, certainly not over an 1/8" if that. Guess I'm lucky. I use Rotella T4.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I had a Douglas DC-4 with 4 1400 hp radial engines. In addition to the 29 gallon tanks on each engine we had a pump, a selector valve, and two 55 gallon barrels of oil in the cabin. The old joke with the old radial engines was "Top it off with oil, and check the gas."

Each engine typically used about a gallon to a gallon and a half per hour. Over that and we would try a find where it was going. Of course just sitting you would normally leak a quart to a gallon every day.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Watching the old "Twelve o'Clock High" episodes, dang if Col. Gallagher wasn't always losing #3 because of an oil leak...."shutting down #3", "Feather #3".. :howdy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts