Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is really starting to irritate me. The whole "change your oil every 3,000 miles" is out dated and I really wish the manufacturers would stop buddying up with the oil companies and continue pushing this. How about this, stop BSing and give us straight answers.

I rememeber reading where GM stated that they hope they could start getting people to use their oil life sensors for a more reliable reference because the computer basis your driving habits and individualizes the engine in the vehicle from others.

Then I am going through the booklet on the duramax that they give me and the booklet says every 3,000 miles. I think GM hires a bunch of ADD sufferers

·
Registered
54 Posts
I change mine every 3k, and then use the oil in my farm equipment. Plus in my experience, oil changes are cheaper than engine repairs.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I change mine every 3k, and then use the oil in my farm equipment. Plus in my experience, oil changes are cheaper than engine repairs.
Well, it's under warranty, and according to their web site, you can use the oil life sensor to know, so the bill would be on them.

I am really just looking for a straight answer. I might have my oil analyzed and compare it to the oil life sensor when I have it changed and see just how far off it really is. This way I can sleep at night knowing I am changing my oil correctly, not by what the oil company wants me to or by a sensor that is inaccurate.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
I change mine every 3k. I went 7k last 2 changes and there was metal shit in my oil, mayhave been from the plug and no change in motor sound but im going back to 3k changes. oh and if I reset my oil life and my milage meter at 70% life ive already been over 3k miles so I know mines not accurate. Ive been almost 5k on this change and my life meter is at 60ish percent.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I change mine every 3k. I went 7k last 2 changes and there was metal shit in my oil, mayhave been from the plug and no change in motor sound but im going back to 3k changes. oh and if I reset my oil life and my milage meter at 70% life ive already been over 3k miles so I know mines not accurate. Ive been almost 5k on this change and my life meter is at 60ish percent.
Thanks for the reply. That def helps me out. Yours a diesel, I take it?

Metal in the oil sounds more like a filtering issue though, doesn't it? What filter are you using?

I will post my results when i get it done. Truck only has 450 miles on it though, so will be a while. Need first oil change, then perhaps one more before starting the analysis.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
mines a LLY, using AC delco again was using fram. there was few very fine shavings, I put some of the oil dripping out of the pan and I seen them with the sun shining on them so I dont know. I'd set your milage meter and oil life at your next change and see if and how much your oil life is off.

·
Registered
524 Posts
With my bypass system I am going to 20,000 kms (12,000 miles), before I do a change. Have had the oil sent out for analysis at 20,000 kms and the numbers come back very good…..Not quite ready to push it beyond that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It all depends on gas mileage, driving habits, and environment. The 3K is the "old" standard that was not CJ4 oil or equivalent.
The best thing you can do is get an oil analysis report and look at the wear metals, TBN number "Total Base Number", and soot levels. With my oil analysis report, I run out to approx 5K-7K miles and everything is perfect. I'm sure one could run longer at the right conditions. Also, cut open your filter and look inside the pleats for metal, soot, etc.
If any of you do get a oil analysis report, let me know and I will help interpret it.

·
Tennessee Smokin'
490 Posts
I'm swapping over to amsoil as of today. Changing it this weekend. I usually let mine run to 5,000 miles before changing. I'm going to do a analysis in about 5 after the swap and see. Mine says about 40% after 5,000 miles

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With my bypass system I am going to 20,000 kms (12,000 miles), before I do a change. Have had the oil sent out for analysis at 20,000 kms and the numbers come back very good…..Not quite ready to push it beyond that.
Are you using amsoil oil too or just the filter?

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
I never go off the DIC & I change my oil every 3,500-4,000.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i change mine very 5000 in every diesel i owned.

now you can turn to amsoil they make great oil, but i would recommand a bypass kit ifyour going to run long interval.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I go 7k - 9k depending on use and fluid.

3k is ridiculous.

Why not spend $20 and do an analysis, then alter as needed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How/where do you get an oil analysis?

·
Banned
17,251 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
I order my analysis kit thru Amsoil...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i run 5k-7k between changes on dino oil, just did a change last week with 6500 and my oil was still decent looking

your diesel supplement guide says 3k intervals? i think mine said 5k but i need to double check

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
i am running rotella, and ive been going 7500 every change. i havent had it analyzed but when i check my used oil it still has viscosity and seem like i can go much further than 7500

1 - 20 of 24 Posts