Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help

So I decided to change fluids on my own this time. Draining went well, then the filter. Tried using my hand to take it off. No go! Tried a filter wrench. No Go! Tired using a small pipe on the end of the filter wrench, broke the wrench..... WTF? Any suggestions on how to get it off. The dealer was the last to change oil, they must have cranked it on there TIGHT!

Was going to try changing the fuel and tranny filter, but at this rate, would rather pay to have it done with this headache. Was also going to check diff fluids. Can never trust the dealer.

Thanks in advance!

Jacob from WI

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
try tapping all along the top edge of the filter with a wrench.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I had this problem with a generator oil filter once. I took the oil filter tool that fits on the end of the oil filter and drilled to holes into it. I then took sheet metal screws and screwed them through the filter wrench into the oil filter. This way I knew it had a grip and was locked. It then came off pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I had this problem with a generator oil filter once. I took the oil filter tool that fits on the end of the oil filter and drilled to holes into it. I then took sheet metal screws and screwed them through the filter wrench into the oil filter. This way I knew it had a grip and was locked. It then came off pretty easy.
Sounds like an idea right there.. Hopefully you wont need a new filter base

·
Registered
487 Posts
Ive driven a screw driver straight through it before. That usually seems to work pretty well. Just dont do it too close to the base, you dont want the jack up the fitting.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Wish I would have seen this about 2 years ago...

My filter on my bike did this....it was insane how tight I have to get that filter so that it doesnt leak.

Ended up have to use a dremel to cut it in half and then in half again..

took 2 damn days and made me very very very nervous as the filter screws directly onto the block.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Have you tried a strap wrench.... Its always worked well even on tight filters... The more pressure you put on it the tighter it grips...

Attachments

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
for some reason these trucks are bad for that...mine did it too eventually the filter ripped off so I took an air chisel and used it to spin it off

·
Registered
635 Posts
Mine gets like that once in awhile,i use the screw driver methos,just drive a big phillips head through it about halfway up the filter and it should come out.

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
I hold one side really tight and stab a small Phillips head screwdriver into the side at the very bottom it. Take it out and shove a bigger screwdriver into it. Turn it and it comes off.

·
Rode the Short Bus
2,380 Posts
I have used the two tool method, use the strap wrench type filter and the cup type with a long ratchet. Working both together I was able to get it loose.

Not really sure why it happens, but I always put plenty of oil on the threads and the gasket.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you tried a strap wrench.... Its always worked well even on tight filters... The more pressure you put on it the tighter it grips...

LOL, Yup, broke an old one and a brand new one. :confused:

Anyway, thanks for the replies! With the suggestions, I was able to finally get it off. The better half stopped and picked up a filter wrench/pliers. After a short struggle and wrecking the old filter, it came off.

Replaced new filter, hand tight, so hopefully no problems in the future. Checked diff fluids and added, changed fuel filter, and changed external tranny filter. No problems.

Again, THANKS! :drink

Jacob from WI

·
Registered
297 Posts
Wish I would have seen this about 2 years ago...

My filter on my bike did this....it was insane how tight I have to get that filter so that it doesnt leak.

Ended up have to use a dremel to cut it in half and then in half again..

took 2 damn days and made me very very very nervous as the filter screws directly onto the block.
what kind of bike do you have? my 2006 kawi zx6r has the same problem. every 100-300 miles i have to turn it a little tighter because it works its way loose.

·
Registered
297 Posts
did you make sure to put some oil on the seal of the filter so you don't have this little problem again?

·
Registered
572 Posts
i've had to do the screwdriver thing a few times and i've actually had the screwdriver totally shred the outside of the filter. I started getting worried but i finally got it off. Not on the dmax though.

·
Registered
388 Posts
LOL, Yup, broke an old one and a brand new one. :confused:

Anyway, thanks for the replies! With the suggestions, I was able to finally get it off. The better half stopped and picked up a filter wrench/pliers. After a short struggle and wrecking the old filter, it came off.

Replaced new filter, hand tight, so hopefully no problems in the future. Checked diff fluids and added, changed fuel filter, and changed external tranny filter. No problems.

Again, THANKS! :drink

Jacob from WI

In the future try hitting the top edge of the fuel filter with hammer or rubber mallet, something about shockwaves or something like that.... its worked for me on several occasions and its much cleaner than spearing it with a screwdriver. Glad you got it off though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.