Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I like it.

Only problem is that the fanboys will pick up on the small differences in the bar charts in that article and insist that the differences are meaningful. If the authors included the error bars (standard deviations) of the statistics in the bar charts we'd probably see that all those differences lie within a standard deviation of the overall average, which strongly indicates that those small differences are due to noise rather than anything structural in the data.

Then again...fanboys don't care about data. Forget what I said.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
Pretty sure that a lot of folks will not understand standard deviation but I agree with you.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Pretty sure that a lot of folks will not understand standard deviation but I agree with you.
I got ten bucks that says it's easier to explain the concept of a standard deviation to a normal person than to explain to an Amsoil fanboy that the oil he pours through his valve cover isn't going to bring him (or his truck) eternal youth.

·
Registered
482 Posts
waiting for a long winded rambling post from 666mydependsarefullofit.
I buy quality diesel oil thats on sale and use stockish style filter,,350k and still beating the daylights out of her.:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
First of all I prefer to use cheaper oil and change it often,but I will not agree that all oil is equal.I have used lots of amsoil in the past and one thing that will not lie is operating temp.Especially trans and diff.Put amsoil in and watch those temps drop.Just saying that for what its worth...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
First of all I prefer to use cheaper oil and change it often,but I will not agree that all oil is equal.I have used lots of amsoil in the past and one thing that will not lie is operating temp.Especially trans and diff.Put amsoil in and watch those temps drop.Just saying that for what its worth...

Okay, here we go.

There are multiple sources of heat dissipation in lubricated mechanical systems. Interfaces between metal components that experience mutual "sliding" (bearing races, cylinders and piston rings, etc.) are one source, and we use lubricants to reduce the coefficients of friction at those interfaces to reduce the shear stress experienced by the components; this has the (generally positive) side effect of reducing heat dissipation at those interfaces because less mechanical work must be done to overcome friction (any work done to overcome friction is dissipated as heat). The other source is work done on the lubricant itself; i.e., in a differential the ring gear is turning and continuously mixing the gear oil. The rate of heat dissipation from fluid shear is proportional to the shear stress in the fluid, which is proportional to the fluid's viscosity. Ergo, for the same velocity gradient (i.e., amount of "mixing," speed of the ring gear, etc.), less viscous fluids will dissipate less heat. At the same time, the amount of heat dissipation at metal-metal interfaces will likely increase with decreasing viscosity, but not necessarily in a mathematically well-behaved manner. In other words, send me a big fat check and I'll fire up my CFD/FEA software and sell you a dubious answer to a very complex question.

The point is, a simple temperature reading is not a useful test of the relative efficacy of any lubricant.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,294 Posts

·
Most Known Unknown
29,352 Posts
I run Castrol GTX High Mileage in my gasser, with a Fram filter
I run Rotella T4 in the Sierra Cummins, with the gray Mopar filter
I for a good while was running Amsoil in the LML, but now I just put Rotella T6 in and call it good, with an Amsoil filter

·
Registered
56 Posts
Oil fanboys make me laugh. And then I get sad. And then I pour my Rotella in and go on my way :laugh:

Hell, I used Rotella in my last couple gassers cuz they were high mileage and it worked great!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay, here we go.

There are multiple sources of heat dissipation in lubricated mechanical systems. Interfaces between metal components that experience mutual "sliding" (bearing races, cylinders and piston rings, etc.) are one source, and we use lubricants to reduce the coefficients of friction at those interfaces to reduce the shear stress experienced by the components; this has the (generally positive) side effect of reducing heat dissipation at those interfaces because less mechanical work must be done to overcome friction (any work done to overcome friction is dissipated as heat). The other source is work done on the lubricant itself; i.e., in a differential the ring gear is turning and continuously mixing the gear oil. The rate of heat dissipation from fluid shear is proportional to the shear stress in the fluid, which is proportional to the fluid's viscosity. Ergo, for the same velocity gradient (i.e., amount of "mixing," speed of the ring gear, etc.), less viscous fluids will dissipate less heat. At the same time, the amount of heat dissipation at metal-metal interfaces will likely increase with decreasing viscosity, but not necessarily in a mathematically well-behaved manner. In other words, send me a big fat check and I'll fire up my CFD/FEA software and sell you a dubious answer to a very complex question.

The point is, a simple temperature reading is not a useful test of the relative efficacy of any lubricant.
I personally dont think its rocket science,but maybe that's just me...

·
Registered
299 Posts
waiting for a long winded rambling post from 666mydependsarefullofit.
I buy quality diesel oil thats on sale and use stockish style filter,,350k and still beating the daylights out of her.:D
……...…………………………………………………………...……………………
I disagree with your post to this extent...about you buying QUALITY diesel oil. ..

I don't think you could find a oil marked "for diesel engines" (or similar text, including the listing of the API specs) that would be anything but a QUALITY oil.

As that lengthy article notes, "oil is oil" . Well..with this qualification; LEGIT oils from LEGIT sellers will confirm on their labels they will do what they are supposed to.

Bottom line - here in the USA and Canada, can you buy a "bad" oil from a legit seller? I don't see how.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I personally dont think its rocket science,but maybe that's just me...

Correct. It's fluid mechanics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Exactly..I rest my case

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
I find peanut oil to run best in my engines. The local Walmart has it really cheap.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I find peanut oil to run best in my engines. The local Walmart has it really cheap.
I tried that but every time I drove my truck I got this overwhelming urge to go deep fry a turkey. Stihl chainsaw bar oil for me :thumb

·
Registered
19,143 Posts
I tried that but every time I drove my truck I got this overwhelming urge to go deep fry a turkey. Stihl chainsaw bar oil for me :thumb
Man. That’s a great feeling.

Letting the Stihl chew itself through a tree and then stepping beck and letting it drop. Idk. Maybe a I’m weird but that’s a hell of a feeling.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Man. That’s a great feeling.

Letting the Stihl chew itself through a tree and then stepping beck and letting it drop. Idk. Maybe a I’m weird but that’s a hell of a feeling.
I totally get it, my dads been in the timber business since he was born and I grew up in it till swerved off the rails and got into natural gas production. I love the smell of fresh cut sawdust.

With my extensive background in toppling trees I’m also the guy that gets called when a tree needs to be cut on a wellsite or right of way and everybody else is scurred of it :grin2:

1 - 20 of 87 Posts