Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to change my external trans filter yesterday and noticed oil on my trans in the marked spots. Wiped it off and took these pics today after about 20 min of driving and its still clean. Any ideas? Oil is good and it wasn't dripping, just wet. Motor oil not trans fluid

·
Registered
105 Posts
Before you dig in, do you have the PCV reroute and if so, is it re routed near that area? Mine is near my trans and I thought I had a leak at the bell too until I looked and saw it was just a little sweat from the PCV reroute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before you dig in, do you have the PCV reroute and if so, is it re routed near that area? Mine is near my trans and I thought I had a leak at the bell too until I looked and saw it was just a little sweat from the PCV reroute

No i don't, unless the previous owner did it (which i doubt because the truck was completely stock)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Its probably a rear main seal, Honestly with that amount leaking, i wouldnt worry about it. Just check the dip stick every once and a while and it should be fine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its probably a rear main seal, Honestly with that amount leaking, i wouldnt worry about it. Just check the dip stick every once and a while and it should be fine.
Yea, unfortunately I'll probably stress it until i get a new trans and have it replaced lmao

·
Registered
105 Posts
Lol if you’re stressed about that you’ve probably never owned a Cummins if you’re worried just check oil every fuel up or something along those lines. You’d have to lose like a quart (maybe even a little more) before it’ll warn you.

Reactions: Hyak55171

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol if you’re stressed about that you’ve probably never owned a Cummins if you’re worried just check oil every fuel up or something along those lines. You’d have to lose like a quart (maybe even a little more) before it’ll warn you.

I'm just anal about the truck. First "new" rig I've had and want it to last forever and a day lol

Reactions: aaro9991

·
Registered
105 Posts
Understood! I have become the same way but checking every fuel up should be more than enough if you’re worried. When do you anticipate dropping the trans?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Understood! I have become the same way but checking every fuel up should be more than enough if you’re worried. When do you anticipate dropping the trans?

Whenever i have the money, so hopefully in a few weeks. That way i can melt a piston screwing around lmao (knock on wood that it doesnt happen >.< )

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
You 100% sure it was oil and not trans fluid? I had some on mine that I thought was oil until I wiped it with a clean paper towel, then saw the red tint. Much more common to have a trans fluid leak in that area than a rear main IMO.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You 100% sure it was oil and not trans fluid? I had some on mine that I thought was oil until I wiped it with a clean paper towel, then saw the red tint. Much more common to have a trans fluid leak in that area than a rear main IMO.
Im 99% sure. It was black

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also still clean after another half hour of driving. Thinking maybe left over oil from the last oil change that got spread by the wind?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just be glad its not orange. Thats what mine was doing. That was really fun.

·
Registered
105 Posts
How recent was that oil change? that could be a possibility as well if you didn’t clean off the residual.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How recent was that oil change? that could be a possibility as well if you didn’t clean off the residual.

Oh about 5k ago (trying that 25k amsoil stuff, changing at 15k and sending in a sample), i had the guy that was throwing on my winch bumper change it so i have no idea if it was wiped off. I guess i can just keep checking every time i drive it. But idk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Check out Donaldson filters for extended changes as well! I believe it’s in my sig but yeah I mean I do check mine every fuel up tho. It’s quick and easy. Pop hood, clean dipstick, fuel up, check dipstick, add fuel additive, off I go

·
Registered
20 Posts
When i first got mine i thought i had a major oil leak some where due oil everywhere under the vehicle. Turned out the previous own was just really bad about pouring oil in without spilling it everywhere.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My LLY has some oil residue in that area as well, and it has since I bought it about 125k miles ago. It never actually drips on my driveway, so I haven't done anything about it and I rarely have to add any oil between changes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Rear main seal is my guess and agree for the amount of leak, dont worry about it for now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts