Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my truck for 2 and 1/2 weeks now and it has not been above 20 degrees F, the truck did not leak when I bought it, it warmed up to 35 40 degrees the last few days and I noticed a spot on the cement at my parents house where I spent this weekend and the truck sat. I crawled underneath and it is wet around the oil pan and the bottom of the transmission, i can't tell exactly what it is because I'm sick and can't smell anything, any thoughts on what this could be or where it could be coming from, I couldn't find a thread on here discussing this and in a little worried

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Clean it all off and recheck later. Is it not just from the drain plug?

Warmer weather thinned the oil out a bit. Many Duramax engines have small oil leaks that are inconsequential.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill crawl under her and clean it off, I checked the spot on the driveway and it almost looks too clear to be oil, I'll investigate and update with what I find out when I feel better and can smell again to figure out what is actually leaking

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Oil will be black as night. Clear could be steering fluid.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even on the bottom of the oil pan?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Maybe. Find out conclusively what the color and smell is.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will do and I'll get back with my findings

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think its a power steering leak I can't find where it's leaking from, and the motor is leaking oil between the motor and tranny

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The power steering fluid was low, I added some and cycled it back and forth and discovered that it is dirty and there is particulate in the fluid, what are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it normal for the power steering fluid to have particulate in it like that? Or is there more serious if an issue at hand?

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The power steering fluid can become contanimated because it is subjected to extreme temperatures. A simple oil cooler [like a trans cooler] installed on the return line, will help keep the temperatures in check. The fluid particles can cause a pressure problem and you can loose power steering and brake booster assist.

In the meantime best to do a flush like 07keo02 suggested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.