Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 07.5 lmm duramax in october, i'm new to the diesel thing. i've been a member to df ever since & have ask a couple of stupid questions, but i need some info on this. i've noticed a small oil leak on passenger side of bellhousing, i cleaned it with degreaser & run it today for about an hr up and down road. i found a small leak on a bolt that goes through the bellhousing that is leaking a small amount of oil. the question is do i need to carry it to the dealer or is this something that i can pull the bolt out & put some thread sealant on. i will be pulling a 30' camper to alabama to races in april & would like to have it fixed before i go, thanks for any info

·
AKA treyfox11
2,250 Posts
i highly doubt its anything to be concerned with unless you clean it off and it returns rather quick try that first and see what happens

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Is it oil or trans fluid? I had to replace a couple of trans lines on mine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its oil, its coming out of a bolt thats on the bottom passenger side, its one of the bolts that bolts the motor to transmission. there is no oil coming from weep hole on tranny, i looked in the weep hole & its not my rear main seal

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well its not coming fom the head of the bolt its coming from the thread end, i torqued the bolt a little tighter but afraid to go to tight because the housing is aluminum

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
Take it to the dealer if you have any warranty left. Mine just went in today for an oil leak in the same place as yours as well as a trans and powersteering leak. Oh yea and a new front diff. They replaced the oil cooler lines.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i pulled the bolt out & checked things out today they was oil on the bolt but none ran out when i pulled it. i cleaned it up reinstalled it & put a nut & forma gasket on the threaded end sticking out. i did notice that the threads on the side that was leaking felt a little sloppy, but the nut with forma gasket did stop the leak. if the dealer tells you the reason behind the leak i would like to know the reason. thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts