Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I took my truck to get an oil change and we’ll as the mechanic was filing the truck with new oil a good sized leaked appeared, mind you that the drain plug was fastened, I went full synthetic, 5w-30 shell rotela, from what the mechanic said it looked like was it was leaking from the full neck to where it connects to the block? We topped off the oil wiped the oil off the rack and pinion and rock guard and there is no leaks, I let my truck sit for two month due to working out of town and I get back and I see a small puddle of oil hat can this be? I check the oil and it is at level,

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Ok so I took my truck to get an oil change and we’ll as the mechanic was filing the truck with new oil a good sized leaked appeared, mind you that the drain plug was fastened, I went full synthetic, 5w-30 shell rotela, from what the mechanic said it looked like was it was leaking from the full neck to where it connects to the block? We topped off the oil wiped the oil off the rack and pinion and rock guard and there is no leaks, I let my truck sit for two month due to working out of town and I get back and I see a small puddle of oil hat can this be? I check the oil and it is at level,

The dipstick is really only good for course measurements, your not likely to see anything smaller than a half quart of fluid loss at best. What part of the engine is the leak coming from? is it spraying out, or dripping? My first thoughts would be that since there was no leak prior to the oil change that either the filter is double gasketed, or the drain bolt is stripped. there should be very little oil around the fill neck so a leak from there would be highly unlikely once the oils in the pan.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The drain and filter are dry the leak is coming from the front of the engine, I will do more investigating tomorrow morning

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
The drain and filter are dry the leak is coming from the front of the engine, I will do more investigating tomorrow morning
if your not loosing oil maybe they slipped a bunch of it and as the engine heats up it runs down the block? The timing of the leak with the service seems related.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts