Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a couple of oil spots on on my driveway, right under my 5 month old 2020 2500HD Denali, with only 2,300 miles!

Can anyone identify the part I pointed out in my photo?

Dealer appointment made.

Any help would be appreciated!

UPDATE

Talked to the dealership, they said it's the lower oil pan gasket. They're resealing it this afternoon along with a DEF reflash (service bulletin).

UPDATE #2,

Dealer called again. They advised that they ordered a newly redesigned lower oil pan from the GM factory.

If you have a 2020 L5P, you better crawl under and look for oil leaking from the lower pan.

I guess I'm relieved that it's not a rear main seal leak, but still not amused that my 2,300 mile truck needs this repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, i looked as per your advice and yes i have oil around the back of my oil pan and on bell housing. called dealer and set up appointment for my 2019 3500 with 19000 miles. keep me posted and I'll let you know how i make out. read on here that anytime oil pan is removed you have to replace it with a new one. also I read there is no gasket.

·
Registered
840 Posts
View attachment 1080730 I found a couple of oil spots on on my driveway, right under my 5 month old 2020 2500HD Denali, with only 2,300 miles!

Can anyone identify the part I pointed out in my photo?

Dealer appointment made.

Any help would be appreciated!

UPDATE

Talked to the dealership, they said it's the lower oil pan gasket. They're resealing it this afternoon along with a DEF reflash (service bulletin).

UPDATE #2,

Dealer called again. They advised that they ordered a newly redesigned lower oil pan from the GM factory.

If you have a 2020 L5P, you better crawl under and look for oil leaking from the lower pan.

I guess I'm relieved that it's not a rear main seal leak, but still not amused that my 2,300 mile truck needs this repair.
and GM wonders why it is barely at the middle of the pack for quality in the latest reports.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, i looked as per your advice and yes i have oil around the back of my oil pan and on bell housing. called dealer and set up appointment for my 2019 3500 with 19000 miles. keep me posted and I'll let you know how i make out. read on here that anytime oil pan is removed you have to replace it with a new one. also I read there is no gasket.
UPDATE #3

3 days after I had the lower oil pan replaced, I observed oil drops on my driveway.

At the dealership again....

After I kept telling them I thought the oil leak was coming from above, they dyed the oil and found that the crank pulley seal was leaking oil and spraying all over.

Out of the blue, this afternoon, GM called me to see how things were going...

He told me he was building a case for a vehicle replacement, possible buyback, or at the very least, I would get a FREE extended warranty. I told GM I love my truck, but I'm doubting this particular truck's reliability.

I also told GM that two weeks ago, my truck wouldn't crank over.. Had to go back to the dealership for diagnostic check. The dealership stated that there was a "new" service bulletin for a software reflash for the infotainment system, which will drain our batteries by not going into "sleep mode".

So the dealership updated the software. Then this gets better... the service adviser took my truck through the dealership car wash, knocking my camper shell's roof rack off. Good times!

Anyway, I'll keep folks updated if anything changes. Mind you, I'm still under 3k miles. I primarily purchased the truck to pull my travel trailer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Followed thru with my appointment for oil leak around the rear of the oil pan. Dealer said 3 oil pan bolts were leaking. He said they removed the effected bolts ,cleaned them and them coated with some type of sealer (RTV i assume). They did a good job cleaning the area where the oil had run, and after 200 miles of use i see no more signs of oil. I guess time will tell. oh well at least its documented.

·
Registered
2020 Silverado 3500 LT SRW Crew cab Duramax
21 Posts
I took my truck in with about 1000 miles because I saw some drops of green fluid under the truck located between the front and rear doors. They told me they found an oil leak. They said it was the oil filter housing and they had to order the part. They took a couple of days to install it (supposedly they ran into problems with another truck which delayed mine). Right before I was supposed to pick up the truck, they informed me they found another leak nowhere near where they had worked. It was the DEF injector seal leaking. They were able to get a new DEF injector from another dealer and installed it the next day. I'm pretty sure the leak I originally saw was the DEF leak because diesel oil leaks are black - not green. I thought there was an issue with their repair of the engine oil leak because I saw some oil on the frame below the oil filter. But, it was apparently left over from the original leak. After I wiped the oil off the frame, I haven't seen any evidence of a leak since.

QC on these trucks is not great. My 2004 Ram never leaked a drop of oil in the 16 years that I owned it. The only time it leaked anything was when the water pump started failing.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
And DEF is clear not green

·
Registered
2020 Silverado 3500 LT SRW Crew cab Duramax
21 Posts
And DEF is clear not green
Yeah. It probably looked a bit greenish on the concrete floor of my garage. Because it was behind the engine, I was concerned it could be the transmission. My previous truck's trans fluid was red. Is that the case with these Allisons?

·
Registered
2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Crew Cab 6.6 L5P Duramax
51 Posts
Yeah. It probably looked a bit greenish on the concrete floor of my garage. Because it was behind the engine, I was concerned it could be the transmission. My previous truck's trans fluid was red. Is that the case with these Allisons?
Allison trans fluid/transfer case fluid is reddish, DEF is clear, oil is black, a/f is orange-ish, rear diff is very dark...lots of colors in that rainbow but no green.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got my 2021 gmc Denali 3500 two weeks ago and had to take it to the shop today because it started leaking motor oil. I was so pissed I didn’t even try to find were it was coming from. Only has 850 miles on it and have not even made the first payment yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got my 2021 gmc Denali 3500 two weeks ago and had to take it to the shop today because it started leaking motor oil. I was so pissed I didn’t even try to find were it was coming from. Only has 850 miles on it and have not even made the first payment yet.
Update: dealership said the oil cooler was leaking

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 10k miles on my mine and I am back at the dealer for the fourth time. They gave me the oil pan story 2x and this time it is a crank seal. These things just can't keep the oil in them. GM may buy mine back also.

·
Registered
422 Posts
MAN! I want a new truck. This just makes me want to keep my 226,XXX mile LB7 that gives me no reason to complain other than it has 226,XXX miles.

Short story long:
I was racing this past weekend my buddy gets injured, I have to drive his 2015 RAM/ CUMMINS towing his 36' bumper pull home while my son in law drove my LB7 towing a 36' bumper pull. I dig the way Ram drives and pulls. Low RPM drives and feels nice. Not a Dodge guy by choice but hearing all of this oil leak and things hardens my heart toward Chevy and they are all i have ever owned my whole life.... Just thought i would share, not that you guys asked to hear it.

Good luck you guys. I hope GM pulls through for you.

·
Registered
2021 Denali HD
85 Posts
MAN! I want a new truck. This just makes me want to keep my 226,XXX mile LB7 that gives me no reason to complain other than it has 226,XXX miles.

Short story long:
I was racing this past weekend my buddy gets injured, I have to drive his 2015 RAM/ CUMMINS towing his 36' bumper pull home while my son in law drove my LB7 towing a 36' bumper pull. I dig the way Ram drives and pulls. Low RPM drives and feels nice. Not a Dodge guy by choice but hearing all of this oil leak and things hardens my heart toward Chevy and they are all i have ever owned my whole life.... Just thought i would share, not that you guys asked to hear it.

Good luck you guys. I hope GM pulls through for you.
I just came from a Ram, and I can say my new Duramax makes that thing feel like model T compared to how nice my new truck rides and pulls. They are having issues on their side also with the newest trucks, same kinda stuff, emissions and electronics.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
when I bought my 2017 I thought first year may not be good, but think it makes no difference it is what it is!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just came from a Ram, and I can say my new Duramax makes that thing feel like model T compared to how nice my new truck rides and pulls. They are having issues on their side also with the newest trucks, same kinda stuff, emissions and electronics.
Thanks, that was the direction I was headed. I really like the Ram interior. I just can't afford to lose work and scheduled jobs because I want a pretty new truck. Lol. I may even consider a battle tested used one with maybe 60k miles or so.

Manny

·
Registered
422 Posts

I know they all have issues. If its just the core motor they are fine. I feel the issues start when all of the emissions crap goes on and then FMS create a whole different problem. I will probably never leave Chevy. It was a nice driving truck. The only other new truck i drove was a 2016 Duramax. I dont like the vibrating seat for sure. I want to drive the vehicle, I dont it to drive for me.

Reactions: Mmecsics

·
Registered
2020 Silverado High Country
19 Posts
Hey, like you, we bought our truck primarily to pull our new travel trailer, but now we are stuck.

Mid November 2020 bought a new 2500 High Country, a week later had it at a dealership for 11 days to diagnosis, wait for parts and repair the DEF Pump. Late January we bring it to another dealership for a loud noise and jerking while turning. They found a bad coolant hose and the transmission leaking. Fixed the coolant hose, ordered the part for the transmission. Over 2 weeks later, during which they couldn't even track where the ordered part was,, they get the part in and a special tool. Couple days later, oh, we need another part for the transmission, dont know when it will get here.

...and they still don't know for sure what caused the original issue we brought it in for. Our 3 month old truck, with 6k miles has been in the shop for nearly 20 days now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got an update on my 2020 3500. The crank seal is leaking now. We thought it was the oil pan again but we were wrong. I forgot to mention that the dealer replaced my original leaky oil pan with the wrong part number, which left me stranded about 40 miles from home and had to be towed away. I also had to pay for someone to tow my gooseneck trailer. Apparently GM placed the wrong pan inside the boxes marked with the right part number and it was a 2 week wait for one when the finally found it.. They blamed the original leak on the wrong sealant used by the factory. Now I will be waiting a week for the crank seal and another week for the installation according to my service rep. I am kind of hoping for a buyback now and just wash my hands of it.

·
Premium Member
Way too many GM vehicles
44 Posts
Man, I hate reading these stories. I have been a Chevy guy my entire life. I currently own a 07 3500 Classic CCLB with about 187k on her. The only thing I've had to do on the truck so far has been water pump, fuel filter housing, and a fuel line. We are in the process of divesting a bunch of rental properties and was thinking about selling this 07 and buying a new truck under the business to offset taxes, but reading these stories makes me think twice about it.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I also appreciate the information. I'm not sure what I am going to do now. Maybe keep the LBZ and buy a new tractor instead.

Best of luck to those of you having problems. I hope GM makes it right.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts