Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Neighbor has a 17 bought it new has 7k miles roughly & has had the oil changed 3 times because the oil life had dropped to 5%. Is it possible that the oil life drops with the truck just sitting?
He only uses the truck to haul his horses it's usually longer trips.
He's had it for 3 years and it wants to be changed once a year?

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
He gonna be bummed about that, he's tighter than a charlie horse.

Tell him if he doesn't want to change it he can just reset the OLM.

It's based on engine hours, heat/cool cycles, power levels, engine temperatures, time, and maybe a few others.

It does NOT sample the oil.
It also doesn't know what type of oil is used.

Leave the dirty oil in or use the best available, and it still calculates assuming the oil used is what the manual recommends.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
As long as they've had the OLM, but I think they have ramped up the weighting of the 'time' thing. (Perhaps so it matches the OM recommendation on low usage vehicles)

They have been known to 'tweak' the calcs it uses on different engines.

Yes, gassers are the same.

When they introduced it they got awards/praise in the engineering community for it.

I had read SAE papers about it, but was still a sceptic til I found one one of my vehicles that the 'mileage to recommended change' did change on MY vehicle when my usage of the vehicle changed.

Since each engine model has characteristics that are different, each one will have different weighting on the factors used in the monitor.

FWIW, fuel filter measures the restriction of the filter -- so resetting it does work like the oil life monitor. (at least the LML did)

OM also says fuel filter change should be OLM, but not to exceed 22,500 miles, and not to exceed 2 years.
L5P fuel filters don't seem to last that long, but on LML it was/is common to hit the 2year and/or 22,500 miles on one filter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts