Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 02 Duramax and have a problem with adequate oil getting to the rocker assembly. First failure was a broken rocker shaft, parts replaced and valves adjusted. Second failure was valve adjustment not holding proper clearance, readjusted valves, Third failure was valve adjustment again. Analysis indicates that improper amount of oil getting to valve train on right side. Engine has only 47k mileage and has only about 12k of that being used to tow a 5th wheel and stopped doing that about 3 years ago. This has all occurred in the past 5k miles or so. If anyone has seen this problem or has any idea as to what the root cause could be I would greatly appreciate feedback. :confused:

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's original mileage and motor, bought it new. Change the oil at 3k mile intervals and because I want consistency in oil I have been using Rotulla diesel oil. Garage has rocker covers off and engine is as clean as new. Just got back from dealer and GM instructed them to pull the motor and inspect it. I guess I'll have to wait till next week for inspection results.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Poor Lubrication, Rocker Assembly

Have an 02 Duramax. About 46,000 miles. Have had a problem with a loud sound coming from the right side of motor. Dealer had to replace a broken rocker arm shaft about 4,000 miles ago. Noise came back, dealer had to adjust valves after 1,000 miles. Noise came back, dealer pulled right rocker cover and found little oil getting to the right rocker assembly.

Engine is out and 80% disassembled, OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!! Dealer is still not sure what the root cause is.

Has anyone had a similar problem or can provide a GOOD telephone number for factory engineering. Could use a lot of help.

Take care.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts