Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing the oil today. Put the bolt back and noticed that it wouldn't stop spinning. I tried to remove it and it still spins. What options do I have to get her going again? How do I remove the bolt?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Don't mean to be nibby but were you putting it on with an impact wrench?

If it spins both ways I really don't have an idea. Sorry.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
You might get lucky and be able to 'pull and turn' with vice-grips or pliers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No impact at all. I used a torque wrench but I its no good as it didn't break or release when it normally does. If it spins both ways I'm thinking part of the bolt is stripped not the housing?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I would recommend what superblacktruck said. A small screwdriver wedged in between pan and bolt with pressure prying it out just a bit while loosening slowly. Many times it will grab a thread as you back it out. Good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've dropped the pan and had a buddy remove the head of the bolt and grind what's left down. He was then able to wind it in all the way with vice grips. The threads looked good so I bought a new bolt and it torqued down good. I've re sealed the pan and reinstalled. I'm now waiting for the sealant to cure. Since I have to go out of town til Friday. I'll know on Saturday if the fix is good.

Thanks to everyone who contributed and lll keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
26,482 Posts
Maybe it's time to consider a Fumoto or E-Z valve. humpin:

·
Registered
944 Posts
In the Army we called that German torque...."goodentight" ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.