Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced an oil pan gasket failure? I noticed a couple of drops of oil
on my driveway under the engine where my truck is parked. Upon closer examination I could see engine oil on the rear ledge on the oil pan. The oil is running down the back of the bell housing and collecting on the bottom. Truck is a 2018 with 11,500 miles.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Has anyone experienced an oil pan gasket failure? I noticed a couple of drops of oil
on my driveway under the engine where my truck is parked. Upon closer examination I could see engine oil on the rear ledge on the oil pan. The oil is running down the back of the bell housing and collecting on the bottom. Truck is a 2018 with 11,500 miles.
Just took mine into the dealer on Friday. I have a 2017 with 38k miles. I noticed oil on the back of the pan, then I removed the skid plate and noticed oil along the front of the pan. Dealer technician troubleshot it to an upper oil pan leak. It will be covered under warranty.
I recommend bringing into your dealer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cleaned the oil off yesterday as I will try and determine where the oil is coming from before I take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I cleaned the oil off yesterday as I will try and determine where the oil is coming from before I take it to the dealer.
They are likely to want to clean it themselves, and then have your drive it.....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I drove it 150 miles today and just seen more oil on the bell housing. It is going into the dealer on Thursday.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally was able to get the truck into the dealer last week. They said the lower oil pan needs to be replaced but there are non available due to the strike. They told me to continue to drive it until the parts become available.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Crazy strike. What a mess. What happens if GM goes under and no bail outs then we have no parts ever lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The latest new out of Detroit is that both sides have reached an agreement so it has been sent to the rank and file to be ratified.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
They've decided to stay out until it gets ratified.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having a leak in that region myself. Only 5500 on the Odo, so I’ll be interested to hear what the dealer has to say. Nevertheless, not happy about a $50k+ truck having leaks before the first damn oil change...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dealer said the pan bolts were loose causing the leak. Since they don't use a gasket on the lower oil pan they have to remove the old pan to reseal it. They told me GM says they have to install a new oil pan anytime it is removed. The dealer has the new oil pan but I have not had time to take the truck in for the repair.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Oil Pan gasket failure

DmaxBill,

Almost same issue for me. Oil all over bottom of engine and some suspension. Turns out it was the oil separator and running down back of engine.

You might want to have them check that out as well because we initially thought it was coming from the gasket as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I will have the check the oil separator while its in for the oil pan.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Y’all mean oil cooler? There is no “separator” ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
There is also a 'separator' on an L5P. (earlier Dmaxes did not have this)
Separates oil from the crankcase blow-by gases and returns it to the crankcase.

It is separate from the engine oil cooler.

From GMPowertrain:
https://gmpowertrain.com/assets/ima...-6.6-l-l5p-engine-features-specifications.pdf

Venturi Jet Drain Oil Separator
• First of its type in the new Duramax 6.6L
• Designed to ensure oil control in sustained full-load operation
• Totally sealed system that collects misted oil entrained in the blow-by gas, allowing
for re-use in the engine
• Less sophisticated systems result in oil carryover into the cylinders during combustion

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.