Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 4/6 Cognito Lift on the LB7 and need to swap out the oil pan. Appears I have a leak.

Does anyone know if the Cognito crossmember can be removed? I know I'll have to pull the skid plates, but I'm not sure the crossmember can be removed on the Cognito lift. Need to remove the crossmember to get access to the pan.

Truck is 4x4, so the differential makes it more fun to get to as well.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So this turned into a 3 day job. If you get an oil pan leak and have the Cognito lift, I recommend doing the pan, cleaning and using the gasket maker with it in place and reinstalling. Getting the pan over the sump is a no go, and you basically have to take the entire front suspension apart to get the crossmember out.

Now, we were using a scissor lift, and a ramp lift might keep the wheels spread, so you can pull the member a little easier. With a scissor lift, the wheels and hubs settle into the crossmember trapping it in place. Don't know if anyone has found a great way to get the crossmember out, but I've found it wasn't worth it the way we were doing it. I didn't install the lift kit, so maybe someone that's installed Cognito lifts can chime in with a better way to remove the crossmember.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Where you able to leave the torsion bars in place while removing the cross member? Need to replace my oil pan as well and thinking about putting the front end on jack stands, removing the wheels and controlling the A-arms with some bottle jacks to prevent them from pinching the cross-member. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts