Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot for the life of me get my oil plug to stop building a a filmy oil residue and dripping oil ever so slighly. Replaced the drain with a magnetic drain plug and new gasket. What else can you do to prevent this ?

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
OK, you changed the plug and copper gasket? Sounds like there is a scratch in the sealing surface on the pan itself. I'd check the pan out real good for damage around the drain hole.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
install a new fumoto drain valve with the nipple on it for draining the pan with a hose attached. use some thread tape when you do this being careful not to use too much and have it go into your pan. also check the threads and pan to make sure there is no crack or worn threads.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I cannot for the life of me get my oil plug to stop building a a filmy oil residue and dripping oil ever so slighly. Replaced the drain with a magnetic drain plug and new gasket. What else can you do to prevent this ?
Please keep me posted on your progress. If you still have questions about your vehicle, we can point you in the right direction. Thank you!

Joey, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please keep me posted on your progress. If you still have questions about your vehicle, we can point you in the right direction. Thank you!

Joey, GM Customer Service
Its gonna be a few months before my next oil change. I do have the truck for sale, but if I have to change the oil again before it sells, i will try a diff plug/o-ring, and let you know! Thanks :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have found you can't use those copper rings more than once. its a nightmare if you do, the bottom of my 07 is soaked with oil, its litterally running down the pan from the plug. Looks like the copper ring was gouged. gonna try a new one, and not tighten to much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts