Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Duramax. She has 300,000 miles on her. I change the oil this weekend and noticed that my oil pressure has shot up from its normal pressure. Could the oil pump be going bad? Can someone point me in the right direction to fix this. I really do not want to take it to the stealership.

Thanks in advance
Mark

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have a 2011 Duramax. She has 300,000 miles on her. I change the oil this weekend and noticed that my oil pressure has shot up from its normal pressure. Could the oil pump be going bad? Can someone point me in the right direction to fix this. I really do not want to take it to the stealership.

Thanks in advance
Mark
What makes you thing the pump is going bad when the pressure increases?

·
Registered
2013 Chevrolet 3500 crew cab extended bed dual rear wheel
442 Posts
: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
We need more info. to provide an intelligent answer. You did not tell us what KIND of oil and what SAE "wegiht" (viscosity) the oil you removed was.. how many miles on it and under what conditions, and what KIND of oil and what SAE "weight" (viscosity) oil you put in it. You also didn't tell us what the ambient air temp. was "before" and "after"

As a side-note, generally speaking...IF an oil pump was "going bad" its ability to pump oil would be REDUCED, in which case your oil pressure would go DOWN.

Again, more info., please?

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
What was the pressures running at before and after the oil change?

Bear in mnd the oil pressure in these engines fluctuates A LOT, dropping low at idle and higher at operating RPM, also much higher when cold than when at operating temps.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have always used the same oil. 15w-40. The oil pressure has always been the same. The truck has 300,000 miles. Outside temp is about 60 degrees. I was researching and found out that it could be the oil pressure switch, since it stays pegged at 120 lbs of pressure. Normal will be around 60lbs. This morning I started the truck, still pegged at 120. When I started driving, the gauge went down to 0. DIC message said to turn off the engine right away. Now I am confused.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have always used the same oil. 15w-40. The oil pressure has always been the same. The truck has 300,000 miles. Outside temp is about 60 degrees. I was researching and found out that it could be the oil pressure switch, since it stays pegged at 120 lbs of pressure. Normal will be around 60lbs. This morning I started the truck, still pegged at 120. When I started driving, the gauge went down to 0. DIC message said to turn off the engine right away. Now I am confused.
Pretty sure your oil pressure sender/switch has taken a dump. D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. That's what I figured. Now to wait for the dealership to open.

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
from 120 to zero.............Oil Pressure sender, small, cheap, easy to change on the left rear lower part of the engine block if memory serves. Any auto parts house should have one.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
from 120 to zero.............Oil Pressure sender, small, cheap, easy to change on the left rear lower part of the engine block if memory serves. Any auto parts house should have one.
I found it at my local auto part store. Just need to wait for them to open. I do have a question. Will it be ok to drive it to the auto part store with the sensor going bad and reading zero?

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
I found it at my local auto part store. Just need to wait for them to open. I do have a question. Will it be ok to drive it to the auto part store with the sensor going bad and reading zero?
IF the sensor is the problem then nothing will be harmed at all. IF it is something else then you could cause a VERY expensive repair.

My advice, Be SAFE, take another vehicle to go get the sender. And use a good thread sealant on the threads but BE SURE NOT to get any near the opening of the sender so it does not enter and gum up the new sender.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IF the sensor is the problem then nothing will be harmed at all. IF it is something else then you could cause a VERY expensive repair.

My advice, Be SAFE, take another vehicle to go get the sender. And use a good thread sealant on the threads but BE SURE NOT to get any near the opening of the sender so it does not enter and gum up the new sender.
Thank you

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well. I changed the oil pressure sensor. That wasn't it. A diesel mechanic buddy of mine that works at Chevy told me to try a couple of different things. One he had asked me to check the plug that goes into the sensor. I found a wire that was broken. Bought a new picktail and we'll see if that works

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Lets hope that solves the problem!

Reactions: Dean E

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts