Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 05lly duramax and stopped at a light and oil pressure went to 0 and dash said low oil pressure. It did it about a yr ago and stopped, did it yesterday so i parked the truck, started it this morning and was fine now its doing it again. The gauge goes to30 when driving but 0 at idle...... Sending unit, gauge cluster or something else???

·
Registered
945 Posts
hook up a mechanical gauge to see what the pressure is. Did you check the oil to see if it's full and to see if there's fuel in it.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
What weight oil do you have-? Has the iol been changed on a schedule-?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Change the oil every 5k with rotella 15-40 since new. just changed it 800 miles ago, level is good and smells fine. No noise when pressure drops to 0 so I cant see how it would be oil pump??

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Of course it may just be the sender. Installing a el cheapo temp gauge will tell a lot on how the pump is performing.

I doubt it is the dash gauge, because the light gets triggered separate from the oil gauge.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, will try a mechanical gauge tomorrow. Where exactly is the sensor? Cant find it to save my life! Also if it was oil pump it would do it all the time correct?

·
Registered
945 Posts
it's above the oil filter.

·
Registered
945 Posts
it's on the filter adaptor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same year truck and the same problem. I took mine into the dealer and they told me it was the ECM. Some how I really dont think that is the problem. When the weekend get here I will be replacing the sending unit because I dont care to fork out $1300 for a new ECM. I also have a thread out there about this same issue and someone posted pictures of where the unit is located. Check it out when you get time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts