1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Lb7 or lly? Look at your 8th digit in the vin. Is it a 1 or a 2

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Mine will Idle at around 30-40 on the cluster gauge after s/u then when warm 20-30

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
30-40 at start-up and idle. 50-60 cruising at 70-75. The gauge will jump around a lot depending on throttle position. When hammer down, jumps to almost 80.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine sits at 10-20 idleling. And 20-30 cruising, is that normal
Yeah that's normal because your injectors are bad. I bought an '04 LB7 in November of '10 and by the end of January my oil pressure was going down rapidly. When I checked the oil level it looked like it was full, but knowing what I know now it was over full due to diesel in the crankcase from the injectors. This is my first diesel and I am by no means an expert on turning a wrench on one, but what I've learned in the last two weeks makes sense to me, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong. The oil pressure is dropping because the diesel is cutting the viscosity of the oil. Soon you will see a combination of oil and diesel down the side of your truck, mostly on the passenger side from the crankcase becoming so full it has to dump some of the cocktail out. You can do an oil and filter change and your oil pressure will jump significantly, but it will soon drop again and then you'll get the mess on the side of your truck again. This will continue to happen until you fix the injector issue. Along with the mess you will notice your mpg to drop considerably!

I bought mine in November of '10 as previously stated. The original owner bought it in December of '03. That means the seven year, 200k mile special coverage for the injectors went out a month after I bought mine. This was long before I realized there was a problem. If I were you I would immediately find out when your truck was originally purchased, crossing your fingers that it was in the back half of October, November, or December of '04 and you will be covered by the special coverage if you're under 200k miles.

I've only put 13k miles on mine since I bought it and am now going to have to replace my injectors. I'm well under 200k miles, but out of the time frame. I really should have done more research before my purchase, and I accept the blame for that. I believe there should be more than special coverage for this, there should be a recall. Aside from the injector issue though, I love the truck.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
263 Posts
if your going ot have to do injectors you might as well throw some stage 1 in there, would be cheaper then factory gm injectors.

guy at work has done it twice in 170,000 miles on his stock 01 duramax, all under gm warrasnty. dont know how many miles is on it now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My oil doesn't smell like diesel I'm hoping it is something else I added a quart and the pressure went up to 30 at cold idle. Looks to be normal I'll see with in the next few days what happens oh and the is no smoke at idle witch would have been another sign of injectors. So I'll post in the next few days and let yall know what's goin on!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well guys I took it to a chevy dealer and sure enough it is the injectors thank god gm is paying for parts, and the dealer I bought it from is paying half the labor so I'm spending 800$ for new injectors! Not bad

1 - 15 of 15 Posts