Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 6.6 with 400,000 miles on it. I was told that since I was keeping it that I should replace oil pump for preventative maintenance. Is this true and is their anything else I should do ?

·
Premium Member
8,491 Posts
No, your oil pump does not need to be changed preventatively. If you stay on top of your fluid change intervals, you’re good. Maybe keep an eye on your water pump to make sure it’s not damp around the weep hole. That’s a sign it needs replaced.

Could change your serpentine belt, tensioner, and idler pulley‘s so it doesn’t leave you stranded sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the advice. I have owned the truck since it was new and have maintained it well. When this mechanich suggested it to me it sounded a little questionable;that’s why I joined this forum. He also went on to say that if the oil pump goes it could burn up my motor. My truck runs very good for now.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,287 Posts
There are Logic safeguards on board that will warn before that happens.
Watching your psi gauge is always a good thing too.
But oil pumps failing on a Dmax..are not a thing.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
I appreciate the advice. I have owned the truck since it was new and have maintained it well. When this mechanich suggested it to me it sounded a little questionable;that’s why I joined this forum. He also went on to say that if the oil pump goes it could burn up my motor. My truck runs very good for now.
well yea, if the pump goes no more oil pressure, but id like to think youd notice the gauge go to 0 and the MIL light up and pull the truck over. I see where the mechanic is coming from, but i think theres a little more good for him than good for you in his recommendation. Im not sure what the R&R procedure is for a oil pump, but id imagine that you have one of 2 options, pull the engine, or pull the oil pans, neither of which is an especially cheap thing to do.

Besides, like hook said, you almost never see those things need to be replaced. They are essentially a life time part.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The oil pump is the only thing on a Dmax that is lubed by UN-filtered oil.... but it dosent seem to care.

Run it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts