Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I’m new on here. Have a 2019 2500 with the 6.6L.
Have always had the dealer do routine maintenance but decided to change my oil myself this time.
Used Rotella T6 5W40 (10 quarts) and a nee AC Delco oil filter. Oil pressure after the change reads about 30 psi while idling and just under 60 psi running down the highway at 65 mph.
my concern is that when I check the dipstick, there is no oil on it now. I’m confused! Any help is appreciated.

· Premium Member
2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD
161 Posts
On my previous truck, the dipstick sleeve could become detached from the adapter into the pan. I guess my question would be are you sure it’s going into the oil pan?

Reactions: seamus

· Administrator
3,294 Posts
Are you absolutely sure you put 10 quarts in? If you did, it had to leak out somewhere. Are you sure the dipstick is all the way in? Sometimes to be completely full the trucks can take 10.5 quarts, but you would still see something on the dipstick if you actually put 10 quarts into the motor.
Have you checked around the oil filter and drain plug for any signs of leakage?
How many containers of T6 did you use?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure you have checked the oil filter for leaks, but the oil is hard to see on the dipstick, sometimes some brown napkin or paper towel can help you if you lay it on it and watch for oil soaking.
Are you absolutely sure you put 10 quarts in? If you did, it had to leak out somewhere. Are you sure the dipstick is all the way in? Sometimes to be completely full the trucks can take 10.5 quarts, but you would still see something on the dipstick if you actually put 10 quarts into the motor.
Have you checked around the oil filter and drain plug for any signs of leakage?
How many containers of T6 did you use?
I’ve been watching for leaks and have seen none. I used 2 and a half one gallon containers of T6. I will have to check the dipstick again, but I am fairly certain it’s going all the way in.

· Administrator
3,294 Posts
Well, check for what Colorado 3500 said. Make sure the dipstick tube is still going into the pan and it's seated properly.
Also, your dipstick should be like a steel cable with a gradient bar on the end.

· Registered
2006 LBZ, 2009 LML, 2022 L5P. 1993 6.5 parked in the shed.
1,656 Posts
Silly thought but, you can't see oil on the dipstick but is it dry too? I know when I change my oil, sometimes it takes a bit for the oil to darken up enough to actually see it Happens more on my LBZ but LMM will do it too. I dump in 10qts, check for leaks and carry on. Usually don't check for a few days waiting for it to darken up.

You, and most people, also probably let the oil drain completely or more so than the dealer lube kids. So you could be starting out with cleaner oil this time.

· Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Cooper Rugged Trek, Paragon Bed Cover
4,264 Posts
If your truck is maintaining oil pressure, it has to be that your dipstick isn't getting down into the oil pan, or you're just not seeing the oil on the dipstick.

Or you didn't put as much oil in as you said you did, but I'm assuming you've verified that a couple times already.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.