Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been lurking the boards, and seeing what owners are experencing with the engines and if this would be a good truck to go with.

The 0W-20 seemed completely assanine, especially when it is only 3 approved oils- when you can find them.

I follow this blog- and I asked the guy about his reccommendations (my question is on the QA page- currently last one).

Long story short- check out Tech Article 30- lots of scrolling to find it.

540 RAT - Tech Facts, NOT Myths

In general, an interesting place to nerd out on.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
His response to original question:

First, let me clarify something you said, so that all my Blog readers don’t get the wrong idea about me and my Blog. I do NOT offer “opinions” here in my Blog. Opinions are found on all those completely worthless Automotive and Motor Oil Forums on the Internet.

My entire Blog’s foundation and reason for existing is precisely because opinions are NOT involved here. I share hard Engineering Test Data and FACTS that cannot be found anywhere else. That’s what sets my Blog apart from all other sources on the Internet. When people want the “truth” about various Technical topics, my Blog is where they come. Now on with your question.

I lost all respect for GM because of various things they have done under CEO Mary Barra. She has been their worst CEO in recent memory. Now she has announced that GM is converting to an all-electric vehicle Company. But, EV sales are only a minuscule 2% of total vehicle sales in the US and across the world. People simply don’t ‘t want EV’s, and with good reason. But, she is betting the farm anyway, on a market that does not exist. And yes, other Automotive Companies are doing the same thing. Though her proclamation was the first one I recall hearing. But, all this discussion is for another time.

Yes, using 0W20 in any Diesel engine is, to put it bluntly, downright stupid in terms of providing engine protection, which does not surprise me coming from GM. That is only being done in a feeble attempt to squeeze out a teeny tiny bit more fuel mileage. But, Owners can never measure any benefit.

I would NEVER EVER use 0W20 in any Diesel engine, even if they call for it, for the same reason I don’t recommend 0W20 in gas engines, which is that it is too thin to provide desirable engine protection. Automakers only want to get you past the Warranty period. Then they’d be happy to sell you another vehicle. They have no interest in the long term life of the vehicles they sell. They consider them disposable vehicles.

And if I got a new vehicle with 0W20 in it, I would change that oil immediately when I got the vehicle home. It won’t affect your Warranty for two reasons. 1. A Dealer would never be able to tell what oil you had been using. And 2. You can use a far superior motor oil that would never cause a problem anyway.

And you do NOT have to use a motor oil that meets a specific Manufacture’s spec. The only vehicles that ever get those oils, are those that are serviced by one of that brands Dealers. And millions of vehicles that don’t get serviced there, do just fine with oils that do not have the Manufacture’s spec. Just use a quality motor oil with current Industry certifications, change it at reasonable intervals, and you will be good to go.

If I were you, as mentioned above, I would change the oil to 5W30 as soon as I got the new vehicle home. And I’d select from the lighter Diesel Oils in my Tech Article #30. So, I suggest you read that article and choose an oil there if you care about the best protection for your new engine.

And if you are not a hard core GM guy, then you might want to consider an F-150 rather than that GM.

· Administrator
2,330 Posts
dJunior... you are free to follow any non-complying oil recommendation that you receive from 540 RAT but the bottom line is will HE pay to fix/replace the engine if GM determines that you're not running the proper Dexos specified oil?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.