Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at switching my oil in my tahoe from conventional to synthetic. @ 177k, is it worth the extra cost?

About due for an oil change and wondering if I want to go this route. Car will probably be my daily drive till it dies.

Thanks.

ALB

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
If the seals are compromised at all, synthetic will find those weak spots and develop a leak. Actually, I would go with MaxLife type oil. That oil is blended to soften up your seals a bit, etc.

·
Vendor
10,985 Posts
Looking at switching my oil in my tahoe from conventional to synthetic. @ 177k, is it worth the extra cost?

About due for an oil change and wondering if I want to go this route. Car will probably be my daily drive till it dies.

Thanks.

ALB
If your not burning or leaking oil now chances are you won't have any problems after switching to synthetics.

If I can help any further, just let me know.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I changed the wife's car, a 93 Caprice with a 305 to synthetic, after it had used Dino oil for about 375,000K and had no problems. It still uses no oil between changes, I do that at about 5,000k. The car has a lot of kilometers on it 460,000K, and was parked for 6 months, I put the battery on charge and it started right up. The only work ever done to it was, an intake gasket and exhaust manifold bolts. Works for me!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
stay with dino oil. my buddy had a tahoe like yours (189000) started screwing with the fluids. It never made it to 190000.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purple is good

I changed my S-10's oil from the basic Valvoline to the Purple stuff back at about 140K. It was using so little, I didn't notice. The truck now has 228K on it and I am only now noticing a 3/4 -1 quart drop. But I am also pushing the 12K change schedule with a filter swap at 6k. So since I am going longer, I can see the drop. :gearjamin
I also did notice some small gains in the MPG.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I had a 1997 Sierra with a 350, probably same as your Tahoe. I went to Amoil at 130K and didn't see any leaks or have any problems. That being said, a lot of people told me not to at that mileage. For you at 177K, if you're been sticking with conventional and it got you that far, stick with what you're using. JMO of course.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I see no reason not to. My 99 sierra with a 4.8L I switched to esso synthetic 0w40 year round. Its got 300,000km on it now and still doesnt burn any oil or leak any. I go twice as long on it as you would on dyno oil so its cheaper in the long run actually, as synthetic isnt twice the price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts