Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to do all the right things for my 2009 LMM..... :confused:
I've looked over the DIY and search with not much luck. I want to do all the maintenace myself and keep the dealer out of my truck. Please someone help me with filters, oil, fluids and amounts I need for that first change. I've seen the talk about the spin filter on the Allison so if I remove the filter how much fluid do I loose? I live in the midwest so weather is from -10 winter to 100 deg. summer and will pull a 9000 lb trailer in the summer.

:help

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
You only lose a little less than half a quart of Dex 6 tranny fluid when you change the spin on filter. Not much at all. Engine oil is usually 15w40 or 5w40, if I remember right the front diff is 75w90 dino gear oil, and the rear calls for 80-90 synthetic gear oil. I can't remember the capacities off the top of my head though. T-case calls for tranny fluid, although a lot of people advocate using synthetic 5w30 motor oil. They say it runs quieter and shifts quicker. You fill till full (2qts I think) then add a third quart by taking out the speed sensor in the top of the tcase and pouring it in there.

Other than that, if you want the best I'd probably look into synthetic fluids. We carry pretty much all the filters you'd need, so we can set you up there. If you're wanting to go with synthetics I'm sure Willie or Dane would be glad to hook you up with Amsoil.

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
Hey dude. You're over here too.... :d

You don't lose that much changing the filter. Just have some extra on hand to prime the filter, and you'll be cool.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
motor oil 10 qts,front diff 2qts 75 90 rear diff 4 qts 75 90 if stock diff covers,t case 2 qts trans fluid 3 qts 5w 30,

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dude go with synthetic i think it is way better on your truck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone!!! I talked to Willie this afternoon and I'm on the straight and narrow.
Going to give AmsOil a shot.

Regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts