Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys. I have been researching some options here and just wanted to start a new thread so that I can ask specific questions. I bought a truck with a 30 gal gravity fed tank in the bed. The PO doesnt know how old the fuel is in the tank. I am going to siphon as much out as I can but would like some advice about cleaning the tank before I fill it with new fuel. I do not see any rust in the tank but the fuel does have a brownish tint to it. I will take some pictures today and upload them. I see other threads where some have suggested fuel system treatments with a full tank of new fuel and others that say to have it professionally cleaned out. I am guessing that would depend on how contaminated the fuel cell is. Is there a preferred treatment that would be safe without having to remove the tank and have it done by a shop? My truck is an 03 LB7 with all stock fuel delivery and filtration. I have a new fuel filter and will be installing a lift pump in the next few months but for now I was thinking to clean and get the aux tank up and going then change the factory fuel filter. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if someone searches and finds this thread.....I ended up siphoning what i could from the tank, put in a couple of bottles of heet and some tank and fuel system cleaner. Once I run that through Ill change the fuel filter. Seems to be fine.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My biggest concern would have been with microbial growth. This has become a big problem with today's biofuel when it sits for an extended period of time. I've had it happen in a big truck and it's a bear to get rid of. It'll plug up a new fuel filter almost instantly. If the fuel you pulled out of the tank appeared to be clear without any cruddy chunks in it, then you're probably ok. It still might not hurt to run a treatment through the tank just in case you had a microbial problem about to get started. I used Power Service Bio Kleen, it's not cheap but it works.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Tank I bought had a 6” circle of snot.Pulled the fuel pickup and seen it.I would of missed it if couldn’t see in .

i polished the fuel with a cheap pump and filter.Copper pipe in hose to pock straight down in tank.

Add a F/W filter before main tank.

Im using a 40 to a 10 to a 2 micron fuel water separator filter before main tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I havent actually started running the fuel from the tank thru yet and probably wont until I deal with my newest issue. I have driven the truck alot lately pulling a gooseneck and trucks around this side of the country. I drove for about 17 hrs straight the other day without issue thru several mountain passes in washington and oregon. Today I drove about 300 miles pulling the trailer unloaded into Utah. Some hills but nothing too crazy at 70 to 75 mph. My truck holds steady temps, and I let off with egt temps around 1k to 1100. Anyways, pulled into the hotel and went to check in. When I came out I noticed a small amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust. I goosed it a little, it puffed a small whitefish grayish and stopped. I put the stock tune back in, added some fuel system cleaner and filled the tank. So...short version, probably gonna remove the tank for now and deal with the injectors first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts