Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a 1993 Silverado with the 6.5 Turbo Diesel in it, and I was wondering how good are those diesels??? All I hear about older Chevy diesels are that they suck, and they have a bunch of a problems with them. Is that true?? What makes them so bad?? Is there anyways to fix the problems?? It has 89,000 miles on it, is it worth looking at???

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
They are under powered. The IDM (black box on the side of the injection pump) cooks it's self to death. The 4L60/80 trans was no business behind a diesel. With the new fuel having less lube in it you need to run something to help the pump or it will eat its self apart.

·
Banned
24,083 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :drink

The 6.5's really have 2 big problems. There is a pmd (black box) that goes bad and thats a $200 fix. Then the injection pumps go there $1500. A few other small problems but those are the major ones.

I had 2 6.5 tow trucks and they are great work trucks bt VERY underpowered. You would be better orr buying a old power stroke or cummins... Even a 350 gasser is more powerfull. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
794 Posts
93's are the good ones

93 should be a manual pump. No PMD (black box) to fail. But their still underpowered. They pull better than 350 not as good as a 454 and get better MPG than a 350. Make sure its turboed you could still get a NA 6.2 in 93 I think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.