Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im trying to install my egr block plate on my lmm and this thing is a pain in ass to get to. I have had it turned off by Justin at bdp when he did my efi tunes. My question is how important is it to install this plate? Since its turned off will it damage anything if I drive it around still. Any short term / long term ill effects??

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You think it b ok for a week, like maybe 200 miles?

·
Jank-A-Lank
1,339 Posts
i drove around for six months without the plate, and with it turned off. the build up wasnt any worse than any other truck ive seen when i FINALLY put the egr delete pipe on.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any have some tips for getting to the bolts on the lmm. I've seen pics on obs, and looks a lot easier to get to them than on my truck. Even removing the intake tube helped a little, but they are far back there amd at a wierd angle. I'm thinking of soaking in penetrating lube the night before I do it and maybe trying from bottom with socket and some woblies. Any suggestions

·
Jank-A-Lank
1,339 Posts
Any have some tips for getting to the bolts on the lmm. I've seen pics on obs, and looks a lot easier to get to them than on my truck. Even removing the intake tube helped a little, but they are far back there amd at a wierd angle. I'm thinking of soaking in penetrating lube the night before I do it and maybe trying from bottom with socket and some woblies. Any suggestions
we snuck a small cheater bar on the right bolt from underneath (took out wheel well), after i soaked over night with pb. used 8" long 1/4 ratchet. brute force on the left

·
Vendor
966 Posts
So Im trying to install my egr block plate on my lmm and this thing is a pain in ass to get to. I have had it turned off by Justin at bdp when he did my efi tunes. My question is how important is it to install this plate? Since its turned off will it damage anything if I drive it around still. Any short term / long term ill effects??
I heard guys not putting blockers in at all because they have it closed through EFI. As long as you not running over 500hp I dont believe it will hurt anything. When you start running big hp it can be sucked back open which is the reason for the blocker as extra security. Even if it gets sucked open its no different than a stock tune running through there IMO.

I put the wrench on mine and a crowbar and placed it on top of the EGR in that flat spot and pushed down on the bar which pushed the wrench up. Took a little but it was better than finding a cheater and running it over and across everything IMO.

Good luck :drink

·
oldschool
3,351 Posts
I tried for ever to get the bolts loose, finally just crawled on top of the motor and yanked straight up hard

I've heard the egr blows open quite easy without a plate

·
Diesel Junky
1,107 Posts
lay on the motor, cram your hands back there and put some old fashioned elbow grease:thumb

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
It is a PITA

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
I tried mine several times 3 yrs ago, I gave up fat hands and my body won`t bend the directions needed.
I found 2 shops last summer that would do the block for $300 + but both suggested since I did the reroute 3 yrs ago which by the way helps tremendously and if I`m not having any egr issues, leave it alone. Worry about it only if and when I have problems.
I have put on over 50K since and NOT one problem, and the egr looks just fine..
Read my sig.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i tried mine i could not get the flanges i can get the top part but not the bottom wtf
I'm trying right now and havibg same issues, just bought a big pry bar, let's see if it works.

Any other suggestions

·
Jank-A-Lank
1,339 Posts
what flanges, take a picture of what youre referring to?

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
You might need to do a search on DIY egr probably back about 1-3 years.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think he means where the pipe meets on the bottom. I got it in, big pry bar got it to move enough and wife dropped plate in. Bolted it up and no leaks or whistles. It's a huge pain in ass, but the pry bar way I had read definitely makes it easier

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
I'll word this differently do a search on DIY egr block back about 1-3 years and you will find pics and explanations and suggestions on doing the job from start to finish.

·
Jank-A-Lank
1,339 Posts
I think he means where the pipe meets on the bottom. I got it in, big pry bar got it to move enough and wife dropped plate in. Bolted it up and no leaks or whistles. It's a huge pain in ass, but the pry bar way I had read definitely makes it easier
oh yes, the bolt on the up pipe @ the header where you only have about 1.5" of clearance. You just have to get a ratchet in there, slap a cheater bar on, and break it loose. After that snag a gear wrench and go at it for a good 3 minutes til its out!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts