Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two of the red tp optima batteries in my 02 sierra 2500hd. They are about a year old and were purchased at teh same time. The passenger side battery has been weeping acid out of the vent in the top, and the plastic on the top is bulging up a bit. The DS battery is fine. Any ideas what may be causing this? Also, if it proves that I need to replace it, can I replace one battery, or do they need to be replaced in pairs?

Thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
Get it replaced. Yes they do need to be replaced in pairs.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Banned
1,914 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
^^ Fixed it, thanks for the kick in the arss!

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, Yes, you did not get it fixed "Yes they do not need to be replaced in pairs." I get the idea though. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
434 Posts
^^^done

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Get it replaced. Yes they do need to be replaced in pairs.
That makes no sense at all....................... Just replace the bad optima and you will be fine.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Truthfully I dont think the place you purchased the battery will replace the one that is not bad.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was headed out of town to my remote cabin to do some work and decided that I didn't need any battery issues while I was up there, as it is a 3 hour walk to get to help (don't ask me how I know this). I had priced a pair of Optimas, and at $400 + tax, + core charge, I decided it wasn't worth it. I thought about just replacing the one Optima, but wasn't sure. The parts store (O'rielly) didn't want to sell me just one Optima and warrant it for the 2 battery truck. So I went to Costco and ought two Lead/acid Interstate batteries for $170. Iterestingly, Costco no longer carries Optimas, apparently those batteries were costing them too much in warantees, and Optima wasn't covering them.
So I get the batteries home and start putting them in. I pulled the leaking Optima from the passenger side first and noticed a little arcing when I reconnected the battery cable. Cab lights were on, hood was open, etc, so I didn't think about that too much. I went over to do the drivers side battery and found the positive cable hanging out in space. Not connected. Explained the arcing. and possibly explains why one battery was leaking and the other was unaffected. SO that tell me that the Dmax can run start on one battery, but I wonder if it would have been different/better if the battery being used was the drivers side battery? Also interesting to note was that my gauge cluster, which is affected by the dim cluster, bad solder joint problem, is now much brighter, and the truck cranks MUCH faster!
Since I replaced them I played with the google search and found that there are many people running dissimilar batteries, red/yellow Optimas, Optima/lead acid/, 800/1000 CCA, etc. If I had it to do over again I think I would still not replace the Optima, though I will still use the good one in one of my vehicles, I think they are a bit overpriced and overrated.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,694 Posts
Over charging could potentially cause this, but I would have the bad battery swapped out under warranty since it may just be a defect. There is NO reason to swap out the other battery as long as it tests good.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i had that happen in my old Cummins the optitina leaked all over rusted a bunch of crap no fun.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not been able to get it warranted as the powers that be say that it is still good. I am out less than the price of one Optima for two spankin new batteries, with a better, no questions asked, no tests performed, warranty, on two Interstate batteries.
Interestingly, I thought I'd charge up the one that has been disconnected, likely since the beginning of the year, and found the voltage to be 12.74, same as the other one. I think I will take these and put them in my big diesel generator that requires two batteries for its 24v starter. I haven't been using it because I didn't want to pony up for two batteries, so I would just take a battery out of two of my play vehicles to start it up.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
My opinion -- the passenger battery is always the one to puke and the first to go bad, because there is tremendous heat in that area-- and no place for the heat to escape.

I installed Fender vents, -- on a recent trip when I stopped, the passenger vent was so hot, I could not keep my hand on it. The driver's side was just warm.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey JC, can you tell me more about the fender vents?

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Purchased items
Part# Item Price Qty Line Total
SSE-950-73002

Fender Vent, Generation 1, Chrome, ABS Plastic, Universal, Pair $99.95
Summit Racing-- they also have it in black, that can be painted. I had chrome, and now have black.

The passenger got hot on the last trip and came out-[lost] in the Colorado mountains- so I got the black ones, and found some FINE textured black paint at the bog box store and painted them. It matches the other black parts. I used double back tape on these.

To install, I covered the area with masking tape, laid out the template, marked the tape and cut the three holes with a hole saw, then used a air cut-off wheel and cut the line. The vent just pops in, no screws. I recommend outdoor double tape to hold them in. You do have to provide clearance at a brace, where the cut-out is-- I used a 2x4 and a BFH. This is an easy mod, but not for the faint of heart. LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts