Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have got a 08 Duramax and was pulling in to my house one day and the drivers rear brake completely locked up after I was on the brake. I put the rear end on jacks and cant spin the tire. So i replace the caliper, take it out on a test drive and still does it. Lift it up again and can spin the tire. I look on the other side, passenger side, and the brake line is very tight and looks like it could be cutting the flow of the brake fluid, so i get a new brake line for it. Take it out and still does. Then I end up putting both brand new calipers on each side, rotors, pads, and brake hoses. After I do those things to it I drive it, and the brake pedal seems to lose travel and once I actually push on the brake to stop it locks up, but the pedal pushes back. Go to look with scanner and have no speed sensor codes or anything in the ABS. I'm lost as to what it could be. I know that the rear doesn't have speed sensors, but it does in the transfer case. Anybody have similar problems?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, welcome...
How did the brake line flush go? Fluid all good, no bubbles?
At first the driver side bleeder shot out fluid far and then the passenger barely had any, but after I replaced both lines they bled good. Plenty of fluid has been through it as well, I would say a whole bottle.

·
Registered
2017, 2500HD, LTZ, front guard, Duraflap mudguards, Leer bed topper
867 Posts
you should not have fluid 'squirt' out. the pressure must be neutral or brakes will not disengage.

This squirt means you have 'air' in the system. The brakes will not work properly.

You must 'flush' the brake system to pull all 'air' through the system. Start on rear passenger brakes, then rear drivers side, passenger front then driver front.

Do not drive until you resolve this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up taking it up the local dealership here, and they looked at it and told me it was my drivers side parking brake cable. Apparently whoever put the lift on before I got the truck kinked the line somehow. He said he didn't really understand how it wasn't messing up from the get go, besides maybe the fact that just over time something was affecting the line. I don't know it fixed it though, my brakes are not locking up anymore.

·
Registered
2017, 2500HD, LTZ, front guard, Duraflap mudguards, Leer bed topper
867 Posts
Another reason to “rig your own parachute”.. in this case someone left you the problem… I would check that the EB is really working… they may have only needing to adjust. I hope they would not release the truck until you understood that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.