Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! New Duramax girl owner in LA County California here. I bought my dream vehicle 5 months ago: a brand new black 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD. How I got here: In 2014 I bought a brand new 2014 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI after a year of researching it- absolutely loved my diesel wagon and put 68k mi on it before taking the amazing offer from VW due to the TDI Settlement. Had to get something that would make me feel I didn’t downgrade, and I was too in love with the diesel, so I went for what I wanted, my Duramax! Being a girl and younger than 30 and getting this all on my own was no small feat, but I’d consider myself a bit different from the average girl... 1) I’ve worked hard since I was 16 and excelled in college and reached the height of my career field more than 20 yrs younger than the average professional in my field, thus being able to purchase my truck, and 2) I restored classic cars with my parents as a hobby when I wa growing up, so I knew more about tools than my husband and am not afraid of getting my hands dirty (so little girlish cars were never of interest for me) and Love to learn as much as possible. Other than the TDI, this is my first true diesel, so I humbly admit I don’t know much about them really, so I’m really looking forward to learning and finding out all I can via this forum. I drive quite a bit for work- 15,000 mi/yr on average, and at 5 months I am at a bit over 6,000 miles (no maintenance performed yet, intending to take advantage of my 2 free maintenance services from GMC at recommended intervals per manuals). Hoping to get some insight and learn how to take care of my Denali HD (which I call Black Beauty), which I hope to drive until it dies many many years into the future. Very much into DIY or at least getting to know as much as I can about all I can- I do everything from basic house plumbing to taking down walls and reframing/putting new walls and “taping” on my own home and unafraid of a hammer and nails, which my colleagues would be shocked if they knew considering I am a top exec who works at a computer in a suit. Looking forward to learning from the brilliant and experienced minds out in the forum!

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
First, you are hardly the only woman on this forum. If you love diesels we will love you! WELCOME!

a couple of bits of advice. YOu rinitial post was difficult to get through because it is so lengthy and no braeks.

Consider breaking them into manageable sections in the future.

Fill out yoru signature in the Tools, UserCP section above so every one can see what you have each time you post. It will make it easier for us to help when you ask for it.

Also, "Search" is your friend on here. Most every problem will have several threads describing them and the possible solutions. You will find that most of the time you will find the answer much more quickly this way. And you will learn MUCH about the wonderful machine you just purchased.

Maintain it well and it should easily give you 500,000 miles of service, significantly more than most gassers on the road

·
Premium Member
9,580 Posts
Welcome to the DF and congrats on your new truck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fill out yoru signature in the Tools, UserCP section above so every one can see what you have each time you post. It will make it easier for us to help when you ask for it.

Maintain it well and it should easily give you 500,000 miles of service, significantly more than most gassers on the road
Thanks for the welcome and the tips! There’s no option I can see to fill out the signature, at least not on the Mobile view, maybe it will be open for edit after a few days of signing up?

Yes, I wanted the truck (other than for how beautiful it is) for that longevity. Although I just heard from a friend whose had diesels for a while that these new trucks with all the emissions stuff aren’t expected to last over 5 yrs 😞

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Thanks for the welcome and the tips! There’s no option I can see to fill out the signature, at least not on the Mobile view, maybe it will be open for edit after a few days of signing up?

Yes, I wanted the truck (other than for how beautiful it is) for that longevity. Although I just heard from a friend whose had diesels for a while that these new trucks with all the emissions stuff aren’t expected to last over 5 yrs 😞
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on getting the new truck.

As far as these trucks only going 5 yrs? Wrong! My '11 is coming up fast on 220,000 miles and is still running strong. I only recently got rid of my emissions garbage after it started to act up again and placed the truck into limp. (GRRR!) These systems haven't exactly gotten all of their bugs worked out yet before they started putting them into these trucks. YMMV in that regards.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Welcome aboard, plenty of gals here. As far as sig goes, it's a good quick reference for problems but not everyone uses it. You should see an option for a "garage", adding your truck details in there would be good. A lot of people here abuse the signature area and leave giant walls of text that waste space on these forums, so some of us disable viewing them to have less unnecessary clutter.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
Welcome aboard, plenty of gals here. As far as sig goes, it's a good quick reference for problems but not everyone uses it. You should see an option for a "garage", adding your truck details in there would be good. A lot of people here abuse the signature area and leave giant walls of text that waste space on these forums, so some of us disable viewing them to have less unnecessary clutter.
Funny, I have much more listed in my Sig and you have but two lines. Yet but your "wall" seems more than twice as tall as mine.

·
Premium Member
9,580 Posts
Signature should be a requirement. IMO

·
Registered
16,263 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Welcome to the forum . There are some inherent issues with these trucks as with all vehicles but good maintenance and a few other preventative measures can really help keep you running . I cant lie I'm real jealous of your truck ..I want a new one so bad

Oh as for the signature log on to a PC and it will be much easier to get set up .

·
Premium Member
9,580 Posts
Good thing no one asked. Also I must say besides saying “welcome aboard” you don’t really add much. Anyways cheers.
That was my opinion, I suppose this is yours which everyone is entitled to. And yes there was prior discussion on the subject of a signature.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts