Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2013 low mileage Duramax which came with free 90 days of OnStar. In the first 60 days I have received repeated mail requests warning me OnStar is about to expire.

Two weeks ago my son was on his way to work when his car broke down. He called me to come help. When I arrived his car would not move so we needed a tow. Even though I was in town (population 55,000) I thought I would use OnStar to get a tow truck. I called. First I was on the phone for about 2 minutes with a lady who then transferred me to some other lady for reasons I did not understand. I explained our situation and told her we needed a tow truck. She asked for the VIN of my sons car which was sitting in the middle of a busy intersection on icy streets with the 4 way flashers on. I told her we did know the VIN and asked her to call a tow truck. She refused to call a tow truck unless I provided her with the VIN number. It then became obvious I could use my smart phone to call a tow truck faster than going to the car and getting a VIN number and who knows what else she may have requested. In any event, I told her to never mind--that I could get a tow faster myself than messing with her. She seemed agitated with me when I hung up.

Really? She would not contact a tow unless I gave her the VIN number? In less time than I spent on the phone with OnStar I was able to arrange a tow myself. When the tow truck driver arrived he did not require the VIN number. I have had a few tows in my day and been with people asking for tows and never heard of anyone requiring a VIN as a precondition to a tow.

I will NOT be paying for OnStar when my free 90 days expires.

·
Love My L5P
511 Posts
OnStar will only deal with vehicles that have the service. That's why they wanted the vin.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have used Onstar a couple times and been very happy. Once for a tow and once because my 3 year old locked himself and my keys in the truck. They had it opened within a minute. I have their Remotelink app on my phone now that can lock/unlock, start, panic, etc. I have it my wife's Acadia as well. I think well worth the money. It really sucks you had a bad experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did not call them on my Cell phone. I called them on OnStar. Both ladies knew when I called I was calling for my sons car and not my truck. They knew I was calling on OnStar from my truck which did not need a tow. They did not tell me they would not call a tow truck because the tow was for a non-OnStar vehicle.

I would think OnStar is a service for the owner and NOT limited to services for only THAT vehicle. I have been told that you can call OnStar if you need services for an accident that does not involve your car. In any event I assumed it was a service I could use for my sons non-OnStar vehicle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did not call them on my Cell phone. I called them on OnStar. Both ladies knew when I called I was calling for my sons car and not my truck. They knew I was calling on OnStar from my truck which did not need a tow. They did not tell me they would not call a tow truck because the tow was for a non-OnStar vehicle.

I would think OnStar is a service for the owner and NOT limited to services for only THAT vehicle. I have been told that you can call OnStar if you need services for an accident that does not involve your car. In any event I assumed it was a service I could use for my sons non-OnStar vehicle.
kasch_hunter,

Sorry for any confusion this has caused. We request the VIN in order to verify applicable vehicle warranties. The OnStar service is only available to be used on the vehicle with an active subscription. With that being said, Good Samaritan calls are intended to help other drivers who are experiencing an emergency situation such as medical emergency or car accident. Nonetheless, we apologize for your experience. If you would like to discuss this further please send your VIN and account number via private message and we would be happy to help.

~Sara, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sara,

I would venture a guess that if your vehicle broke down in the middle of the busiest intersection in town in wintry weather conditions you would characterize the situation as an emergency. I hope you are not suggesting the OnStar subscriber who has paid OnStar must convince the operator that an emergency exists as a precondition to having her accomplish the simple task of calling a tow truck. At best, this practice by OnStar is a very poor customer relations practice.

The OnStar Website discussing "Roadside Assistance" states "If you're stranded, have a flat tire or need a tow truck, just ask an OnStar Advisor to use GPS technology to locate a nearby service provider and direct them to your location". As in my case what that really means is that if your son or wife's vehicle 50 feet away needs a tow you can forget about OnStar unless his or her car has OnStar.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My father in law had OnStar in his Impala a while back and he was driving out to San Diego to see my brother in law and was dangerously close to running out of gas. He called onstar and asked for directions to the nearest gas station, and when the lady gave him flack because that wasn't part of the package he was paying for, he yelled at her, "lady, I don't give a f(*k, I'm about to run out of gas so tell me where the gas station is and send me a bill." She gave him directions and he never got a bill.

Seems lame that they would have handled this situation in this way. I've already pretty much decided that I'm not going to renew my subscription when it expires, I just don't have a reason to have it and my wife just got a pay cut so we need to minimize.

·
IB4X4N
122 Posts
on star

Call for tow needs to be for the covered vehicle. Otherwise the tow truck driver gets the call. Shows up, Renders assistance. Ask to get paid. Person needing help did not initiate service call therefore is not on the hook to pay for service. Tow drivers have been told on many occasions by person in need
"I never called you, OnStar did you need to talk to them"
Towing company eats the bill.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Elvis, someone can stiff a tow truck driver for the tow whether the towed vehicle subscribed to OnStar or not under your scenario. OnStar does not pay tow bills for subscribers--they merely call a tow truck for you. Or, in my particular case, they don't even do that!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Call for tow needs to be for the covered vehicle. Otherwise the tow truck driver gets the call. Shows up, Renders assistance. Ask to get paid. Person needing help did not initiate service call therefore is not on the hook to pay for service. Tow drivers have been told on many occasions by person in need
"I never called you, OnStar did you need to talk to them"
Towing company eats the bill.
How does that work in "good Samaritan" cases where you call for help for someone else? That doesn't make sense. Tow truck driver has the car, they can hold it until they get paid; or slap a mechanic's lien on it.

onstar said:
Press Your Vehicle's Red Emergency Button

• Get a priority connection to trained Emergency Advisors
  • Request police, fire or medical help
  • Report an accident
  • Request help for others on the road

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone who accepts a tow must certainly expect they need to pay for it. Exceptions might be a AAA tow, things like that. But you are right, in most states the company/business providing the tow has a lien on the vehicle until the tow is paid.

·
Premium Member
2021 L5P CCLB
1,049 Posts
why would anyone think a service is for something other than what they paid for? On star is vehicle specific - just like an extended warranty would be .... and just like xm/Sirius is (unless u pay for multiple vehicles)

I wouldnt expect to call Triple A for "joe blows" vehicle - i would expect them for my vehicles .....

Sorry - but i think its out of line to bash onstar for this ........... NOTE - I am not an onstar subscriber - but i am a business owner ......

·
Registered
477 Posts
Not when they specifically mention a "good Samaritan" functionality. They aren't paying for the tow, they are just providing an easier way of calling one. At least in theory. Your analogy doesn't equate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i have to agree with clarkely on this one , you pay for what u get no pay no get

·
Registered
292 Posts
OnStar......can live fine without it.

To me it's just another one of those modern-day life lines we're told is "a must have" - contributes to the pussification of America.

Totally capable buddy told me he recently got a flat and instead of getting out and changing it he called OnStar for assistance - sad.....tuck your f-ing pants into your boots and change the mofo!

·
Premium Member
2021 L5P CCLB
1,049 Posts
they were good Samaritan for me - i locked keys in the car and they unlocked for me .... and i didn't have an account - but i was calling for my vehicle .....

I just don't get bashing a company for doing what they outline they are providing - sorry if it doesn't equate for some - just my opinion - i expect to get what i pay for and not what i don't

I recently looked at subscribing to onstar - figured if i could get the service for using phone to start the truck i would .....but then figured it isnt worth it ......

·
Premium Member
2021 L5P CCLB
1,049 Posts
onstar......can live fine without it.

To me it's just another one of those modern-day life lines we're told is "a must have" - contributes to the pussification of america.

Totally capable buddy told me he recently got a flat and instead of getting out and changing it he called onstar for assistance - sad.....tuck your f-ing pants into your boots and change mofo!
x2 :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
:thumb

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Clarkely, you are incorrect. If I am a passenger in a car and I have AAA and the driver does not AAA will still cover a flat tire or tow. I know this to be true because a passenger of mine with AAA covered a flat tire for my vehicle.

OnStar advertises that you can request "help for others" but does not clarify the circumstances constituting such. Under the circumstances in my case I thought it was inappropriate not to call a tow truck.

Like you, I am also a business owner. And I am smart enough to know bad PR when I see it and this is it.

I am not trying to bash OnStar. Everything I have recounted is factually true. And to make matters worse, the OnStar PR representative has confirmed that given the same situation OnStar would do the same thing. I do not think it is unfair or bashing for people to know the truth about what they are paying for and are what they are NOT getting with OnStar.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts