Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this so if I'm am wrong please feel free to let me know. I have been with out a truck for a few years. My last was 98 Z71 it was rolled and so it has gone to the grave yard. I have researched for a long time on what to buy and will be getting a new truck in a few weeks. I don't need anything other than a 1500 but I have always wanted a 3500 DRW 4x4.The truck will have to last me 10-20 years. from what I have seen the L5P should have no problem making that time. I have gotten to a point in my life that I am ready to buy something I have always wanted. Before doing so was looking to you all for any advised on owning one of the Trucks. I have never owned a Diesel before.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just shared my build-quality opinions on the "Just sold our 2021 Denali 3500HD to buy a 2019!" thread. There is a HUGE difference between a 1500 and a 3500 DRW. If you live in any kind of urban area, the dually will make life miserable. I lived in the Seattle metro area when I owned mine. It was a blast.

The truth is - yes, in all honesty the L5P engine will probably have no issues making it 10-20 years. But, everything around it likely will not. Especially all of the emissions control parts (DEF system, SCR/DPF parts, NOx sensors, etc...) - those will all start to fail around about the time the warranty is up on them. And they are very expensive to replace when they do. GM did us all a favor on the new DEF tank and made the whole thing an 'assembly' that is not serviceable. So when the pump goes out, you do not get to just change the pump - you change the whole 'assembly' Sort of like if the spark plug on your lawn mower fouls up, you toss the whole mower and get a new one.

I also do not believe the build quality on these new GM trucks will last beyond 10 years. The frame and body - probably. But GM is notorious for all the electrical bits to start flaking out. My truck is on it's second radio module and it's on the fritz again. The power tailgate doesn't work half the time. Back in the old days if the radio went out, you'd head to Best Buy and drop a DIN standard replacement radio in... not anymore, the head unit is %100 OEM specific and nothing else will work.

The soap box I stand on says "If you don't need a diesel for a specific purpose - it's an absolute mistake to get one." Those purposes are usually hauling heavy trailers or campers. Diesels used to have the appeal that they got better fuel mileage and better overall cost of ownership, but that's not true anymore. Now that you factor in the initial upcharge to buy the diesel ($11k) and DEF usage, and 10 quart oil changes, and saving money to pay for emissions repairs...

I too was in your position a few years ago - I finally got to the position in life to buy a heavy duty diesel truck that I've wanted forever (since I worked in a trucking company yard and drooled over my bosses' absolutely perfect 1991 F350 diesel crew cab long bed 4x4 we called Big Red) Problem is, diesels have changed A LOT since then. Both good and bad. They make a TON more power than they used to - because of $20k worth of specialized parts working %100 perfectly at all times. Looking at where we are now, and what I use the my truck for, my next purchase will NOT be a diesel HD truck.

My advice is to really evaluate what you NEED and not just what you WANT If you've got the disposable income to deal with the diesel headaches, then yes, they can be fun at times.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
2020 Silverado 3500 LT SRW Crew cab Duramax
31 Posts
I couldn't agree more with jharp that if I didn't think I needed a diesel, I wouldn't have bought one. I was very seriously considering a Ford with its 7.3 gas engine and 10 speed trans. But, price (I get the GM employee discount) and availability steered me to my Duramax. My previous truck (3rd gen Cummins) was only marginal in pulling my 12k fifth wheel through the mountains and I felt the GM gas offerings would be borderline as well. So, I ponied up for the diesel. I love it and it pulls like a beast. But, I don't look forward to dealing with emissions issues. In the first 1400 miles, I've had to have a leaky DEF injector replaced. I don't plan to own this truck much (if any) past the point where the California emissions warranty expires.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
If the desired cab type was mentioned, I missed it.

Regardless, all DRW's are long box (8')

A crewcab drw is 266" long. (22' 2")
And of course they are wide. About 97" wide instead of the 82" for a srw 2500/3500.

Double cab is what we ended up with when they needed the centre cab post to pass crash testing.
DC DRW is 257" long
Reg HD's SRW and DRW are long boxes and are 235".

For comparison, 1500 crew short box is 231". 1500 crew std box is 241"

Not sure if the retired '98 was extended cab 6.5" box as was so common in that era.
1500 crew short will fit in many garages that a 1500 crew standard box will not.
When originally developed, the 1500 crew short was the same wheelbase and overall length as the 1500 extended cab std box that were so common at the time.

If parking at home isn't an issue, don't forget about parking and maneuvering at places the truck might get taken to.

Reactions: emsis4me

·
Registered
344 Posts
I wouldn't want to dd a dually lb in the city. I just take mine in trips to the farm or towing, and every now and then to places with open parking areas. It's massive compared to a 1500 or in my case a Tundra DC long bed. I was use to the length but the 3500hd is massive in feel and weight compared to the Tundra. The Tundra was nimble compared to the tank the 3500 is.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I couldn't agree any more with the first 2 responses. I've had diesels and I'm done with them if I can ever get mine to run long enough to trade it off. New diesels are a disaster. I would definitely not expect 10 years without some major repairs unless you don't drive much. Not even sure then.

If you don't do any serious towing, do yourself a favor, save $10,000 and buy a gas truck.

I know this is the Duramax Forum, but I'm just trying to give some sound advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all very much some very sound advise for sure. Gas engine it will be. I really appreciate all the information. I will most likely go with the 2500 with the 6.6 gas. Im still a chevy guy so hard to move to ford even with that new 7.3

·
Registered
2019 3500HD High Country DRW 4x4
14 Posts
Thank you all very much some very sound advise for sure. Gas engine it will be. I really appreciate all the information. I will most likely go with the 2500 with the 6.6 gas. Im still a chevy guy so hard to move to ford even with that new 7.3
I would have already bought a 6.6 gas but I am patiently hoping and waiting Chevy eventually will put a 10 speed transmission in it... Hopefully they are reading the forums!

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,975 Posts
Yes, absolutely buy the truck you want. It will last 10+ years if you take care of it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Any decent HD's, except work trucks, are pretty scarce right now. If you're looking for a dream truck, I assume you're looking for a nicer trim package than a work truck. I don't know where you're located but a dealer in Kansas City just got 3 new gas High Countrys a few days ago. I believe they were SRW 3500's. Maroon, Cayenne, or whatever they're calling it now.

Good luck on your search and best of luck to you on whatever you decide upon.

·
Registered
2019 GMC 2500 Denali
115 Posts
emsis4me ... with all due respect, if you want your dream truck then don't buy based on others. Everyone here has different needs, live in different areas, and have different preferences based on a lot of factors. I have been luckily enough to have owned trucks from V4s to V10s with my last few being Duramax's. Everyone was the greatest truck ever in the moment I owned it and no one could have changed my mind otherwise. Right now I would own nothing but a Duramax ...are there issues out there; absolutely. But this is true no matter what engine or truck. Fact is, if you do the math with numbers produced / by problemed trucks, the ratio is low for any truck. Life is short ..buy what you can look at and enjoying driving ...period. I just sold my 19 duramax yesterday to make room for a 21. I don't know what kind of truck the 21 will be, but I can tell you my 19 was a great truck in everyway. Good luck ...show use a pic when you empty your wallet.

·
Registered
894 Posts
emsis4me ... with all due respect, if you want your dream truck then don't buy based on others. Good luck ...show use a pic when you empty your wallet.
Seems like pretty easy advice when you're spending someone else's hard earned money.

If the OP shouldn't "buy based on others" then I'm wondering why he asked the question of the forum in the first place?

Hell I don't need any more than the F550 out in my driveway but my dream truck is a completely restored vintage W900 Kenworth Aerodyne with 6NZ Cat built to 600-700HP and a 15 double OD. Should I just go buy that to have in my driveway?

·
Registered
2021 Denali HD
107 Posts
Seems like pretty easy advice when you're spending someone else's hard earned money.

If the OP shouldn't "buy based on others" then I'm wondering why he asked the question of the forum in the first place?

Hell I don't need any more than the F550 out in my driveway but my dream truck is a completely restored vintage W900 Kenworth Aerodyne with 6NZ Cat built to 600-700HP and a 15 double OD. Should I just go buy that to have in my driveway?
The W900 would be sweet! Just saying...

·
Registered
156 Posts

How should we know what you should buy any more than we know what the OP should buy?

Pretty sure that was the point being made.

Reactions: wade_660

·
Registered
894 Posts
the '21s aren't making it home from the dealer.... just sayin....
As much as it pains me to agree with you twice in the same day, yeah, no way a new truck will go 20 years without major repair, probably not even 10 if you drive it. For one thing, there's not a Dmax out there that'll go that long on head gaskets. Then throw in the emissions crap, cheap electrical connectors, etc., etc., etc.

I really hope the OP gets a truck that he really likes and performs well for him, whether or not it meets the predetermined definition of his "dream truck." If you only need a 1500 though, pretty sure a HD Dmax will not meet those expectations and could well end up going from dream truck to nightmare.

I mean if you're not towing any appreciable amount with it, then it's sitting in the garage kinda like someone's old Vette or Chevelle that they always wanted and finally got one. If you get one of those out for a drive and end up having to put a fuel pump on it, big deal, might kinda enjoy the time spent installing it. You go get your late model Dmax out for a drive and it limps on you and you have to be towed home then incur a repair bill of several thousand dollars, that's a completely different animal.

We've all got our different opinions and even if I mine is in contrast to someone else's, I still respect others' opinions, I just don't have a problem stating mine. Guess if that makes me an opinionated old SOB, then ok. I mean if the foo shits, I'll have to wear it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
As much as it pains me to agree with you twice in the same day, yeah, no way a new truck will go 20 years without major repair, probably not even 10 if you drive it. For one thing, there's not a Dmax out there that'll go that long on head gaskets. Then throw in the emissions crap, cheap electrical connectors, etc., etc., etc.

I really hope the OP gets a truck that he really likes and performs well for him, whether or not it meets the predetermined definition of his "dream truck." If you only need a 1500 though, pretty sure a HD Dmax will not meet those expectations and could well end up going from dream truck to nightmare.

I mean if you're not towing any appreciable amount with it, then it's sitting in the garage kinda like someone's old Vette or Chevelle that they always wanted and finally got one. If you get one of those out for a drive and end up having to put a fuel pump on it, big deal, might kinda enjoy the time spent installing it. You go get your late model Dmax out for a drive and it limps on you and you have to be towed home then incur a repair bill of several thousand dollars, that's a completely different animal.

We've all got our different opinions and even if I mine is in contrast to someone else's, I still respect others' opinions, I just don't have a problem stating mine. Guess if that makes me an opinionated old SOB, then ok. I mean if the foo shits, I'll have to wear it.
truth

·
Registered
58 Posts

My grandfather has a lb7 with close to 500k kms on it with original head gaskets... Lots of towing and been tuned for at least 10 years

1 - 20 of 25 Posts