Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m fixing to have my CP3 swapped and I was wondering what my best option is for a new turbo upgrade while I’m in there. 64 cheetah? Danville? HS ? I don’t tow and interested in dependable power at 600 to 650. Just wondering what real world suggestions the Oracles have on here.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’m fixing to have my CP3 swapped and I was wondering what my best option is for a new turbo upgrade while I’m in there. 64 cheetah? Danville? HS ? I don’t tow and interested in dependable power at 600 to 650. Just wondering what real world suggestions the Oracles have on here.
Excuse me CP4 lol

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have any experience with either?

·
Registered
864 Posts
If you don't tow I would recommend at least doing a 66mm turbo to help that 600-650 number. I'm at that right now with my setup. Spool up is basically the same as stock with my S366SXE. I got a kit from Wehrli. I wanted to get away from a VGT and into a fixed vane. If you want to stay VGT and since you dont tow I would look into the 68mm as well. Also, be prepared to buy a trans. On the maxx effort tune my trans cant keep up. When i run it on the street/tow tune it does great, so be prepared to buy a trans at that number.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really appreciate I love the sound of the fixed vane but man the Cheetah is sweet but yeah I have never road in a Dmax with any thing bigger than the cheetah and it was impressive, I could imagine the 366 packs a punch if it’s factory spook up.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Its not a bad little charger. Im interested to see how it does once i throw some more fuel at it and a built trans. Heard the little jokers will scream but we'll see

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
S467.7 gets my vote. Ive had experience with quite a bit of turbo setups. A s467.7 will do 600 650 easily with low egts, and drive pressure, and wont be working at its full potential so will last longer. They spool great when properly specd, and will give you room to grow if you want. I would do a 87mm turbine and .90 housing or 1.0. Very little spool up differences but youll get more top end. If you go aftermarket vvt im familiar with Danville but it seems hes had more issues with lml turbos than the previous year trucks for whatever reason. The cheetahs are definitely nice too and will make some serious power. Plus they sound nasty. Not real familiar with dans. I blew a used low mileage one up in less than 2k miles. Thats was my experience. Havent been around many trucks with his turbos. Can shoot me a text if you want.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hay Nik what’s up? Thanks man yeah after you hooked me up with that contact we talked and I’m still up in the air about which turbo to go with. I spoke to Carolina Performance in SC to do my install and a CP3 install and a 64 Cheetah was $6800 I just want to make sure I pick the right turbo the first time. There is so many opinions and options it just seemed the Cheetah is a proven performer and I have rode in one and it was pretty bad ass.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Shop around on that install price. That seems pretty steep to me. Decent sized s400 is alot easier on rods also since youre making your power higher in the rpm range and the torque isnt coming on instantly like it will with a vvt. But alot of that comes down to tuning which i know who thats in the hands of so you will be fine there😉

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Not sure how far you are from him but try dustin at diesel addiction.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m not afraid to travel lol ....I just don’t have much trust in my local guy he has hit and miss customers and I guess I could break down and do it myself but considering my schedule and work I rather have it performed. It would take me way to long picking at it on weekends. I will hit them up....

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Okay thats not terrible for them getting parts. Idk why they are servicing the ac. Shouldnt have to remove it. Pulling the cab takes a little bit and isnt really needed to do a cp3 n turbo but it does make it easier. Talk with the guy i set you up with he may be able to get that stuff cheaper also.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I have the pump but one of my coworkers needed it so I sold to him. I had gotten it cheaper than what they priced it. They also only install parts they purchase.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Yeah thats where shops make their money is on parts even though alot of these companies dont have much wiggle room even for dealers.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Give diesel addiction a call and see what they have to say

·
Registered
864 Posts
I’m not afraid to travel lol ....I just don’t have much trust in my local guy he has hit and miss customers and I guess I could break down and do it myself but considering my schedule and work I rather have it performed. It would take me way to long picking at it on weekends. I will hit them up....
If you're in SC and not afraid to travel I can give you a guys information in Lexington, Sc that will have the best prices on install hands down and knows his sh*t. Did a lot of the work on my truck and has a fully built LML himself. Also, like Nic said above I would steer towards something bigger than the Cheetah at the power you're looking for. I would rather have a charger that can do 650 without breaking a sweat than running the 63 Cheetah at its full potential at 650.

·
Registered
17,854 Posts
Okay thats not terrible for them getting parts. Idk why they are servicing the ac. Shouldnt have to remove it. Pulling the cab takes a little bit and isnt really needed to do a cp3 n turbo but it does make it easier. Talk with the guy i set you up with he may be able to get that stuff cheaper also.
Pulling the cab to do the turbo and cp3

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’m actually working 21 miles from Lexington SC

1 - 20 of 32 Posts